Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1995 lwb 4.2 l.

Car rolls in park. Several feet until something stops it. This is not usual several inch move in park.

I have not delved into this one much but wondered if anyone had tests to determine if it's parking pawl or axles or transfer case etc

I am trying to narrow the diagnosis here....car runs and no adverse noises from tranny.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I've had this happen before, long time ago and I don't remember exactly what it was, but I know it was not in the tranny and I'm willing to bet it was the swivel joint(s). I can't explain how it happens, but other guys on this site know how it happens. After some coffee I might be more helpful!

gene

·
Registered
14 Posts
If it moves in park with all 4 wheels on the ground it's almost guaranteed to be the parking pawl. I you had a transfer case problem i imagine you would notice it slipping into neutral or something while driving.

When was the tranny fluid last changed? If the pawl is physically stuck, then a fluid change may loosen it.

It might also be the inhibitor switch. This is on the upper left exterior of the transmission, and should be accessible with the rover up on a ramp. I'm not sure how you would test if the inhibitor is the problem.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I've had my coffee now. do a google search on rolling in park and see what a lot of the experienced old timers have found.

from "Niceguy" in 2007
Interesting... So the combination of one axle not "connected" to the ground and the differential action in the diffs and the transfer case allowed the other three tires to roll while the broken axle turned the other way in the tube???

try this one for starters

http://www.discoweb.org/forums/showthre ... rrerid=692

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i will try to lift the front and then the back....and turn the wheels to see if any are dislocated and not connected. there is a possibility it is something in the drivetrain, becuase when i shift out of park i can definitely feel the pawl in action.

if others have experienced this in cv axle or differential....please post what you have done.

when i got stuck in the snow, i know that both rear wheels turned. i am not sure about the fronts....i think one or the other front did not turn.

·
Registered
106 Posts
How does it react when you apply the parking brake? This should help at least diagnose the rear drive line. If it reacts the same I would be suspicious of the rear drive. If it doesn't roll significantly then you can be confident that the problem lies elsewhere.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i checked the shift linkage cable near transmission, and it was adjusted correctly. the rover is definitely in park...

then i lifted rear or rover and turned wheel, the other wheel turned in opposite direction.

when i performed it on the front axle, nothing. so i narrowed it down to front axle or cv area.

i dont know which side is bad or maybe both?

i am curious which side went for most posters?

i am also curious what exactly fails commonly? does the cv race break or are the splines worn down?i am not sure what fails on the cv.

i have seen others post a picture or a crack but not certain if that is a common failure point.

clearly lubrication leaks out and the part fails, i am curious if the splines are the issue and if the axle itself goes bad or the cv joint itself

·
Registered
4,794 Posts
CV joint.

The cage breaks, the balls fall out, then badder things can happen.

It is the CV joint.

I have one in stock and can have more soon enough, I also have all the gaskets and seals in stock as well.

·
Registered
255 Posts
mine was the right side. save yourself time and posts; just pull the front wheels and put your ear on the hub and rotate. If it doesn't sound nice, pull the hub and look. A broken swivel joint if big time obvious!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.