Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rebuilt my 4.2 engine on 95 LWB. Engine now running good. Prior to rebuild, transmission was running and shifting perfect. It had a brand new Ashcroft torque converter. Upon reinstall of engine, my mechanic did not get torque converter seated properly and bolted it up. No shifting. I told him he probably broke the 2 little tabs on the tranny oil pump. Sure enough, we pulled it out and turned it upside down and 2 little pieces/tabs of metal fell out. Busted oil pump. I had a friend that had a 98 Disco tranny with only 90K on it in great shape. I bought it and swapped out the oil pump. It looked exactly the same. Pulled the old one off and bolted new one in. Got torque converter seated properly and installed. Shifts fine and drives fine but now has a slight rattle from inside bellhousing. Was never there before. What can this be? Seems to drive fine and shift fine. It rattles in park and in drive. You have to get underneath to hear it. Definitely coming from bellhousing.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Could this be the torque converter? Could it have been damaged when it was installed improperly when the tech accidently broke off the tabs on the old tranny oil pump? Transmission is working fine. Just a ticking rattle that increased as RPMs increase. Sound coming from torque converter location inside bellhousing.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.