Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gang need some help here. Just got back in town from a two week business trip and my 95 LWB will not turn over. When I parked it everything was running fine...just had a new cat put in. When I raised the hood to inspect the situation (not sure what I was really doing) the only thing I saw out of place was a skinny (very skinny) hose that runs frrom the bottom of the distributor cap to the top of the engine??? (to the left of the air flow meter.) I tried to put it back in place put it broke apart...... Anbody know what this little puppy does...could it be the culprit. I don't remeber it being lose before. I smell gas so I guess the fuel pump must be working? I live in small town America so some info is better than none when dealing wit the local mechanic....thnaks

HL

· Premium Member
10,167 Posts
Test for spark, fuel..... Is it totally dead or does the starter still turn?

· Premium Member
10,167 Posts
HunterLenz said:
The starter is fine it just won't turn over. How do I test for spark/fuel?
Test for fuel with fuel pressure guage, you can go to any sears, autostore for that..
Spark - 2 ways, there is a tool you buy where you put your plug wire onto the end of it ground out the tool and look for spark

2- Put a screwdriver in the plug wire hold it close to a good ground, motor mounts exhaust, etc... and look for a spark

On both you have to disconnect a plug wire from the spark plug... One will do it.

if you don't have spark at the plug try the coil, if not at the coil that is probally your problem....Also loook over you distributer cap and rotor....

· Registered
734 Posts
Agree with Fun Rover......If you have fuel and no spark, check all connectors on the coil they come loose and you can pinch them to make them tight, or replace with new male/female ends. Distributor cap/rotor are also popular items to have a meltdown, as well as the plug wires. If you have no idea if they were ever replaced, may not be a bad idea to replace. You can get an ignition tune up kit from Atlantic British or Rovers North (Or someone on the forum may know of a cheaper place). Replace the little black hose, it's the vacuum advance.

But.......need to determine if you are having a fuel vs. spark problem first.

· Premium Member
10,167 Posts
Just a thought... If you go in the water often or live in a place with high humidity..... If the ground connection to the coil is not good.. Trace the negative wire back and see if the ground is good or if it lost conductivity...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.