Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for advice as I'm sorting out the dome lights on my 95 RRC. It's been to two shops and no one is able to figure it out. I've done some troubleshooting as well, and seems like everything's been looked into aside from ripping out the headliner in tracing every single wire to and from the lights.

Here's the issue...when the truck's door is opened the light come on. If the car has not been started the light turns off after about a minute or so. When the car door is closed the light turns off after about 30 seconds. (Light shut-off delay times are estimates, as I haven't timed it out). If I open the door and start the car and go for a drive the dome lights never turn off (I've driven for 30 minutes and they stayed on the entire time)...however when I'm done driving and I shut off the car, the lights turn off after about 30 seconds. I'll point out the obvious, that I checked the dome light switch on the dash center fascia. It works as I tested it with the cars electric/accessories turned on and it has not been left in the on position. It seems like every aspect of the dome lights work except for when the car's running/when I'm driving.

We've looked into the fuses, different relays and the multifunction unit and nothing has done the trick. Until this can be sorted out, I just took the bulbs out of the two dome lights so it doesn't accidentally drain my battery. Any suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated! It's such a small, annoying issue, but I would love to see when I get into my truck at night.

·
Registered
1993 Range Rover County Classic SWB
20 Posts
have you checked all the grounding points? sounds like may be a weird grounding issue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
have you checked all the grounding points? sounds like may be a weird grounding issue.
I have not, but that's on my checklist of things to look into. I'm replacing all the door switches next week, so will try that first, Even though I'm 99%, they all work fine. Someone mentioned something about resetting the MFU, but that's going to be a last resort I think. I haven't looked at the wiring diagram in a while, do you know if the grounding points are accessible without taking down the headliner?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have not, but that's on my checklist of things to look into. I'm replacing all the door switches next week, so will try that first, Even though I'm 99%, they all work fine. Someone mentioned something about resetting the MFU, but that's going to be a last resort I think. I haven't looked at the wiring diagram in a while, do you know if the grounding points are accessible without taking down the headliner?
That I do not know. I am a whopping 11 days into RRC ownership... have some misc interior electronics issues and some of them can be attributed to bad grounds according to my mech and research...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That I do not know. I am a whopping 11 days into RRC ownership... have some misc interior electronics issues and some of them can be attributed to bad grounds according to my mech and research...
Right on! Well congrats first and foremost! I got mine about 6 months ago. Love it and it's quirks. I'm working through a bunch of small electric issues as well. Dome lamps (this thread), heated windscreen, rear windscreen defrost, rear wiper (just figured out that it was the motor that was shot so that should be sorted out shortly), heated seats, misc dash buttons need new backlights.

·
Registered
20 Posts
...rear wiper (just figured out that it was the motor that was shot so that should be sorted out shortly), heated seats, misc dash buttons need new backlights.
Thank you - I am having the same issues as your last 3. rear wiper does not work, but itll spray washer fluid back there so the switch works.... heated seats dont but buttons turn on...... fun stuff!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can say it's most definitely the rear wiper motor then. Check to see if you're getting power back at the wiring connected to the motor, if you are the motor is probably shot. Could also be a blown fuse, I think there are two fuses that go to the rear wiper.

I think I just recognized your username. I'm Chris from Wilton, CT. I think we've been chatting on Facebook.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I can say it's most definitely the rear wiper motor then. Check to see if you're getting power back at the wiring connected to the motor, if you are the motor is probably shot. Could also be a blown fuse, I think there are two fuses that go to the rear wiper.

I think I just recognized your username. I'm Chris from Wilton, CT. I think we've been chatting on Facebook.
That's me - we have been, lol! I thought your name souned familiar..... I am in the process of checking all the fuses but have noticed that the fuses are not in the places that a lot of people say they are. Apparently becuase mine is a 92 build but 93 MY it's an "in between" and has some new, some old stuff going on......

1 - 8 of 8 Posts