Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
are there any problems associated with 1996 4 liter discoveries? my dad has a 95 3.9 liter and hasnt had any mechanical problems with the car that i can think of, and right now he is considering helping me buy a 96. i just want to make sure it wont be in the shop all the time.

· Registered
51 Posts
Yeah, 96's had major issues with carbon build up, requiring an expensive fix. Make sure that the 96 you buy has had this rectified cos you don't want to pay for it. I believe the issue was with valves, and once they were replaced with "carbon cutting" valves all was fine.

· Registered
777 Posts
Garland see if you can get a 3.9L. The 4.0's had some issues like Vray said. A few of them needed valve jobs, and those usually are not cheap. Check around on this board and others (LRX, D-90, MuddyOval) for a good 1995 or 1994. That is my 0.02 cents! GOOD LUCK!

· Registered
5,468 Posts
No major probs with mine. I regularly (q 10k miles) use a good injector cleaner such as B&G 44K to make sure I have no carbon build up issues. But as stated in earlier posts, sometimes there are issues. Just make sure the rover has a good going over by a rover mechanic you trust - no, not the mechanic you always use that is down the street but a rover mechanic. Pay the extra money for a good thorough check.

· Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sadly, i dont need to worry about it. there was a beautiful portofinio red disco on ebay with a buy-it-now of $6400, including shipping. unfortunately, the reserve was met before i could get to it. it looked brand new! oh well, if at first you dont succeed, try and find another red 5 speed disco.

· Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
there is a god! its back! my dads gettin kinda skeptical about me getting a car (i'll have to pay insurance, and he has a 95) but i gotta have it... plus, what are the chances of this happening? it would be spitting in fate's face not to get it...and i dont even believe in predestiny.

· Registered
909 Posts
The Valve problems have been OVERSTATED!!!!/OVERRATED!!! I have talked to many independants, This sometimes had to be done, but when they actually got into the engine, it wasn't that bad, and most of the time, it wasnt' the culprit of misfires. I have a 96 110k no problems so far. Run higher octane fuel, and regularly use injector cleaner. Take it on long drives once a month too. Don't keep it in city driveing.... lots of stops and starts! Good luck, go ahead and get it and enjoy!!!!!! :drive:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.