Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I guess you could but how much cheaper are the 7mm than the 8mm?

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Bigger is better to a point. With regards to magnacore, the 8mm & 10mm wires are the same. The difference is that the 10mm wires have a thicker silicon sheathing.

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
Accell makes 8.5 mm with Double Shielding.....

Hi from Adam in NYC :drive:

Accel makes a new blue colored 8.5 mm with Double Shielding.....friendly for the engine and for your radio. I don't think they will have a specific set for Land Rover so you have have to buy the universal kit and make the specific lengths you need. Dont forget to buy the crimp tool so you can make the wires faster.

I last used the Accel 9.5 mm yellow wires with the Bosch Plus 4s and when my old man drove my car, did he notice the acceleration. I had not done any other modifications other than the K & N airfilter.

Afterwards, about 100 miles later, he wanted my secret recipe and he wanted his Ford done the same way (smile). I like it when a plan comes together :D

Pep Boys in the US sells the yellow Accell but I think it will be a special order for the new Blues. Call ahead first unless you like to impulse shop.

I think anything past 9 mm will be wasted unless you are planning on pulling the coilpacks and putting in a HEI discharge system.

Its your money.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Taylor Spiro-Pro 8mm

I use the Taylors on all my junk, have for years, refuse to change. Indestructable. Fire-proof. The spark plug boots are molded to the wire, so there is very little chance of the fire "leaking out". The 8mm "rolls" well into the Rovers looms, and stays put. I also use silicone dielectric grease in both ends as a waterproofing measure. I used the universal V-8 kit that comes with two different coil ends that you install the best fitting one. I also bought a universal V-6 set @ the same time for a four-banger that I was working on, which leaves me with a "spare" for my spares kit, although I doubt that I will ever need it. Accels are great, and so are Magnacores, but if you have a source for Taylors, I have to say that they are probably the best! Good luck, LRW

·
Registered
106 Posts
cbrown12 said:
Can I get away with using the less expensize and available 7mm wires vesus the 8mm wires?
id just go for the magnecore 8.0's. I put em in my wifes rover along with the bosch plat 4's plugs, and instantly noticed a throttle response. more power and smoother idle. The biggest pain in the ass is plugging them into the coil. good luck. took me 1.5 hours just to do that and im not a novice, but swore at it frequently.

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Unless you're using a high energy coil pack, 7 or 8mm Magnecor wires are pretty much equal, and more than sufficient. Standard coil packs are only wound to give 20,000 to 22,000 volts, and 7mm Magnecors easily handle that without dielectric leakage. If you go to an aftermarket coil pack, of 35K or higher, go with 8mm. Shileded wires do absoloutely nothing unless the shield is grounded, preferably at both ends, requiring special plugs similar to aircraft or military vehicles, requiring RFI suppression. Always be sure to keep your wires free of oil, which breaks down rubber and silicone dielectrics. While oil itself has high dielectric properties, it causes the wire sheath to become soft, and then allows moisture to be trapped.
The best wires, commonly seen on aircraft engines, measure no more than 7mm and handle 50KV common on magnetos. a set of 8 (cyl, 2 per cyl) run about $300 per set, cut with connectors.
I personally prefer NGK plugs over Champion, but am only one of many who feel Bosch Platinum yield nothing

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
How about....

Bosch Plus 4s or Iridiums (any make)? All the Platinium is there for is to make a better conductor.

·
Registered
523 Posts
JMan:
I'm still deciding on whether do the endeavor task of changing the wires myself or pay the dealer $600 for new wires/installing.i see that it's not an easy job.How did you do it,andy special tricks? I have the rave CD and it appears to consume at least a day in doing so.My biggest fear is that if I have to remove the intake, I do have to deal with a broken gasket, do I have to install a new gasket after the wires are done? also do I need a torque wrench in order to put back the intake?Any guidance towards the project would help.I'm not in a position of letting go $600 for a set of wires plus installation.
Thanks,
Carlos

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Why not measure the length of each of your leads, then contact your magnacore dealer and have them make a set for you in 8mm? I bet it will be a lot cheaper than $600.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Disco:
The problem is that if I do take it to the dealer I have to use genuine parts only, and they quoted me $25 a piece for the spark plug leads, and $600 total for the 8 leads plus the installation.Not appealing though... :shifty:
Carlos

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Hi Carlos. I think I'm missing something here. Are you referring to the magnacore dealer or your LR dealer? Once you have the leads made up, you can install them yourself, just make sure you change them out, one at a time, so that you don't make any mistakes.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.