Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! I have 96 Disco SD that I purchased in December. I just replaced the front brakes twice. First was with generic, second was with LR genuine done at a local garage. I continue to get a click-click-click with each rotation of the wheel. Clicking stops when I apply braking. No other noises. Front rotors were replaced with new also. Any idea as to what may cause this and how to make it stop? Noise was not present until brake replacement. Mechanic said it was because of anti rattle springs, hence the second purchase and still click-click-click. Trying to avoid a costly dealer visit. Thanks, Bruce.

·
4,576 Posts
Im not as mechanically experienced with rovers as i am with muscle cars but my guess would be ABS Sensor...thing is if it was the ABS Sensor you would have the ABS light on your dashboard lit. I have a 96 as well. SO guys, anyone else got any other suggestions?

·
Registered
523 Posts
I leaned towards the bearing diagnosis, but since it goes away with braking , it shouldn't be a bearing.Try by jacking-up the truck, rotate the wheel by hand, if no findings still, take the wheel out and repeat the procedure.I'm suspecting it might be a loose/misconnected/misplaced abs sensor or a wear sensor.
Carlos

·
Registered
138 Posts
Check the wheel bearings for sure. Your brakes may be pulling them into the correct position when they are applied, hence the clicking noise stops. Were the rotors changed during the brake work? Also did you use a new hardware kit when you installed the pads? I like to replace the springs and pins with each pad change, and even with correctly adjusted wheel bearings sometimes I still get a clicking (one click) when I apply the brakes after a long trip. No strange pad or rotor wear? Good Luck, LRW

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Problem found and solved (sort of..)

I jacked up my Disco and manually turned the wheel until I could discern the noise and see what was happening. It appears that at one point the rotor causes the upper part of the pads to move and then fall back into place, making the clicking noise. It has to do with the anti-rattle springs and the rotor. The rotors and the LR pads and springs are new. The rotors were from a local brake place. I should have gotten some better performance rotors. In the end, I actually squeezed and old anti rattle spring on with a new one. It still clicked a little until I slammed on the brakes and it stopped after that. The brakes will probably fail with the added spring and my wife will be wealthy, but at least the annoying sound is gone. :clap:

Now if I only get abonus this year so I can buy some goodies.

Thanks all!

·
4,576 Posts
haha..funny stuff...hey, you should check out eBay for the rotors..this one place on there has Brembo cross-drilled for like 150 i think (pair)...orrr...you can check out roverparts.com...they have brake rebuild kits for 300bucks which includes 4 rotors, 4 sets of pads, and all the other hardware (springs gaskets, etc.)

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had the same on my 91 disco

I had the same on my 91 disco
Some body had fitted the wrong brake pads, there are 2 types and both will fit the callipers, but the anti rattle spring or shims (dependent on type) don’t fit the ‘wrong’ callipers.
I fitted the correct pads and shims then all was ok.
If it is shims put some copper coat on the back (the bit between the shim and pad).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.