Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
96 disco idle and popping problems. I got the following codes from autozone: P1313 Misfile likely to damage catalyst, Bank A, P1314 " " Bank B, P1316 Misfire causing excessive misfires, P0303 Cylinder 3 misfire, P0300 Random misfire detected.

I have changed the coil packs, wires, spark plugs, fuel filter, stepper motor and throttle positioning sensor. All to no avail? It runs even badder after it has warmed up, it vibrates and hesitates during as you pick up speed. I noticed that over 40mph when I shift in lower gears that it drives better.

Changed out VSS, a little better but it still hesitates once my LR warms up and I have been driving a while. It starts to pop and hesitate a little.

Also, ran some seaform thru the injectiors and repaired two exhaust leaks. I

Note: Problem had seemed to go away when pulled the fuel cap. Drove the LR and it ran fine. No backfiring or hesitation!

Ofcourse that didn't last long it has started back again :dunno: , Fuel injectors? Fuel Pump?

Any help would greatly be appreciated!

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Your cats are glogged, the answer "P1313 Misfile likely to damage catalyst, Bank A"

You probably have some other problems...

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Tell us more about when you changed the parts, did you change the parts and have the codes read? Did you reset the codes after you changed the parts?

First make sure the TPS sensor is installed properly with no air leaks.

Second, have the codes reset and read again. If the cat code comes up again I would consider changing them. You don't have to spend a zillion dollars on original cats, just get them from Summit Racing for 70 bucks each and have them welded on.

How many miles on the engine?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
John C said:
Tell us more about when you changed the parts, did you change the parts and have the codes read? Did you reset the codes after you changed the parts?

First make sure the TPS sensor is installed properly with no air leaks.

The TPS was installed properly, no air leaks.

Second, have the codes reset and read again. If the cat code comes up again I would consider changing them. You don't have to spend a zillion dollars on original cats, just get them from Summit Racing for 70 bucks each and have them welded on.

How to reset codes? Never did it, pull battery cable?

How many miles on the engine?
1996 SE7 87,000 miles

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
cbrown12 said:
1996 SE7 87,000 miles
Might be too early for bad cats.

Get the codes cleared and have them read again. Just an FYI, I've used the handheld OBDII code reader from Autozone and you can reset the codes (it's a good investment for under $125).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
John C said:

Get the codes cleared and have them read again. Just an FYI, I've used the handheld OBDII code reader from Autozone and you can reset the codes (it's a good investment for under $125).
I just spoke with a local muffler shop, they can check the cats to see if they are bad or not.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
John C said:

John,

What model number or size to look for on the cats at summit ?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I think at autozone u can also just borrow the obd read and do it ur self you might have to leave a deposit at some.

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
CB - Where do you live?? If you are anywhere near Modesto, stop on by - if your rig can make it - or maybe I can come to you. I have a car chip and the software so I can read and reset your codes.
Also, I have two cats for your truck you can have for a 12 pack of Corona. I bought them for my truck (same year & model as yours) but ended up using another set up.
(209) 585-5265
Steven

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
cbrown12 said:
John,

What model number or size to look for on the cats at summit ?
I think it was CTO 6905 or something.

·
4,576 Posts
Hey John, I'll be checkin on that P/N as well, as the rattle from my cats is getting worse and my CHECK ENGINE light is on meaning my o2 sensors might be going kapoot..right?

BTW, if the inlet and outlet dia.'s are 2-1/4 then CTO 6905 is the right P/N

·
Registered
720 Posts
Just a suggestion cbrown 12, but some of your symptoms are very similar to my 96 Disco's behaviour last year. I happened to check the voltage at my 8 year old battery and read only 10 volts. Sure enough, with a new battery all the missfiring and hesitation went away instantly. It all turned out to be a 'starved computer' problem. Hope your Disco can be fixed as quickly (and cheaply) as mine. Pavel.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.