Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 96 Disco and it obviously had a leaking roof issue because of the water damage inside and the headliner. I pulled the headliner, reinserted the headliner foam and just painted and it looks pretty good. A friend of mine that owns a custom tour bus company sealed both sunroofs shut since neither of them were working. They used a black industrial type caulk that they use on all of the roofs of the buses and it was done well and seemed that it would work. 5 days after, it started to rain and I am getting water in the same places prior to the caulking job, pouring out of the rear roof AC vents onto the back seat and also from both front seat visors. I just dont think its the sunroofs, the black seal around the windows against the roof seems tight with no gaps and is not dry rotted and the gap between the glass and frame has been sealed. Any idea of where this could be coming from? Any help appreciated!

·
HeadlinerExpress
253 Posts
Simple, Remove the Headliner Board "again" and water test the Roof.

Once the Headliner Board is Removed you will be able to see were the water is coming from.

Discovery I & II are notorious for
#1) front windshield leaks

#2) Sunroof Leaks between the Plastic Trim Ring and the Painted surface of the Vehicle, Make sure you Clean the Bottom of the Sunroof Glass were it comes into contact with the Rubber Seal, Make sure you clean the rubber seal to make full contact with the Glass.

#3) 5th Door (Rear Door) Sometimes the 2 Hinges sag because of the weight of the rear door & Spare Tire. Sometimes the hinges will need to be replaced to get the door to properly close to the rear seal, sometimes the rear seal is bad as well. Look at your 3rd brake lamp located on the rear door. If it has white streaks on the 3rd brakes lamp its a sure indication of a rear door seal issue or hinges. Also look on the rear cargo floor and see if the Tie Downs "D-Rings" are corroded another indication of a water leak.

#4) another overlooked area on the discovery's is the "Drip Rail Chalking" with age and Heat the Original Chalking in the Rain Rail Cracks and allows water to enter in between the Actual Roof and the Upper Pillars of the Body of the Truck. If this is so, you will need to dig out all the old Chalking in the Rain Rail and replace with a New Joint Panel Chalking.

If I can help in any way please feel free to ask. I have Landover Overhead Systems / including Sunroof repair on these vehicles since 1994.

Hope this helps. Bill

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.