Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When cold, my '96 Discovery-I SD (4.0 petrol) is a little hard to start. No fuel injected engine should be hard to start if it is working properly. Do you know of any systematic problems with this model? All advice appreciated.
rick / tulsa

·
Registered
454 Posts
It cranks too long before firing, ot does it crank slowly?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cranks too long before firing, 4-5 seconds. However, this morning it was 25 degrees F here in Tulsa and it fired off at the first touch of the starter. That tells me that the cold-start enrichment circuit is working. It just may not be coming into play correctly at the above-freezing temperatures. That would imply that a sensor was lying to the EMS. Must test. :-]

Rick (physicist) Lindsay

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Rick,
Alot more info would be helpful if you are looking to get some help.
What year, what mileage, what sort of past maintance, are you running originial plug wires are the cats originial?????
Mike J.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Mike. Thought there might be a systematic trend others had identified.

The data: '96 SD 4.0 petrol, 96,000miles, original everything as far as I know.
At 25 degrees F it started with the slightest touch of the key. In warm temperatures but with the engine cold (ambient) it takes 3-5 seconds of cranking before it starts. When at operating temperature it starts easily on the first try, as it should. This is why I suspect the 'cold start program' to be the problem ...either by the algorithm, sensors or injectors. The fact that it worked perfectly at 25 degrees F tells me that the system is working, just not working correctly at higher temperatures. Ergo, a temperature sensor is suspect.

So the questions is; Have others experienced these conditions? If not and an easy fix is indicated, I will start the diagnostics.

Thanks again,
rick

1 - 5 of 5 Posts