Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'96 4.6 HSE with 155k
She has some electrical gremlins creeping around but not much to complain about overall.
There is one thing that is annoying that I cant figure out...
The door locks are all out of whack.
First, key in the driver's side door only locks that door. To lock the rest of the doors including the rear hatch you have to push down the lock on the passenger's side door. And the same to unlock.
Secondly, as I am driving, the rear door locks lock and unlock sparatically but together. Bumps in the road seem to trigger this action.

Any ideas??
I was thinking it could have something to do with the door's substation control boxes or the world famous BeCM.

If anyone else encountered this please let me know.

Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
P38 door lock issues

My 99-Bosch 4.6 had similar issues, strange locking and unlocking as I was driving, plus superlock function inoperative. (I have a dog and like ability to superlock doors with windows down and sunroof open).

Replaced both front door lock modules (electronic servo motors + door latches) with OEM parts. Much better. Locking and unlocking stopped, superlocking now works but only with front doors. Probably need to also replace rear door modules. Will update after I do this.

Not too difficult and I am no mechanic. Took me ~3 hours for the first lock replacement (pass side), ~2 hours for drivers side since I knew how things worked now. Drivers side was harder due to need to partially remove outside door handle to free operating rod from key lock. I could not see any other way to achieve this.

If your electric windows are acting up might be good idea to replace regulators at the same time.

Hope this helps,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
colorado4.6
RR P38 4.6 HSE
Defender 130 truck

·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I replaced the driver's side door lock mechanism (Yanked one out of a RR in a pull-it-yourself junkyard). As I was replacing the lock I discovered that the previous owner must have had issues with the door locks as well and had not spliced the ground connection together correctly. It was inermitantly making connection thus confusing the delicate brain of the truck.. It's amazing what improper grounds can cause..

·
Registered
7 Posts
P38 door lock issues

My 99-Bosch 4.6 had similar issues, strange locking and unlocking as I was driving, plus superlock function inoperative. (I have a dog and like ability to superlock doors with windows down and sunroof open).

Replaced both front door lock modules (electronic servo motors + door latches) with OEM parts. Much better. Locking and unlocking stopped, superlocking now works but only with front doors. Probably need to also replace rear door modules. Will update after I do this.

Not too difficult and I am no mechanic. Took me ~3 hours for the first lock replacement (pass side), ~2 hours for drivers side since I knew how things worked now. Drivers side was harder due to need to partially remove outside door handle to free operating rod from key lock. I could not see any other way to achieve this.

If your electric windows are acting up might be good idea to replace regulators at the same time.

Hope this helps,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
colorado4.6
RR P38 4.6 HSE
Defender 130 truck
Good info. Do you think this could also be the cause for my front passenger door (2007 Range Rover) tonit open? It’s stuck shut. Nothing will open. Not even inside door lever.

·
very disco
1,426 Posts
If it won’t open from the interior door handle, it sounds super locked. Either the mechanism super locked and then broke, or super locked and faulty wiring is preventing it from unlocking.

the IDM handles super lock, but if all of the doors aren’t super locked I don’t suspect IDM

·
Registered
7 Posts
If it won’t open from the interior door handle, it sounds super locked. Either the mechanism super locked and then broke, or super locked and faulty wiring is preventing it from unlocking.

the IDM handles super lock, but if all of the doors aren’t super locked I don’t suspect IDM
thanks for the reply. yes, all the other doors including the rear work fine. just the front passenger. i take it the IDM is the control module? i hope it not faulty wiring. i was told most likely the actuator. but since the door won't open it will be very difficult to remove the door panel. i know nothing about resetting the superlock function.

·
Registered
7 Posts
thanks for the reply. yes, all the other doors including the rear work fine. just the front passenger. i take it the IDM is the control module? i hope it not faulty wiring. i was told most likely the actuator. but since the door won't open it will be very difficult to remove the door panel. i know nothing about resetting the superlock function.
is it possible that only a single door would be superlocked and not the rest? why does the vehicle even need a superlock feature?

·
very disco
1,426 Posts
Super lock prevents somebody from breaking a window and reaching in to unlock and open the door. Commonly engaged by double pressing the lock button, which many people repeatedly press because there’s no audible confirmation.

my disco2 was super locked by my wife, and immediately after the IDM failed leaving all doors super locked and not unlockable.

you can disable super lock via nanocom or gap tool etc, but you’d still need to replace the lock

·
Registered
7 Posts
ahhh. that makes sense. and ironically, this just happened after my wife drove it. and for some reason she said she always double clicks to lock...

·
very disco
1,426 Posts
We are conditioned that way... most cars give an audible confirmation on 2nd press.

my only guess was that the super lock command somehow spiked and toasted the IDM. Funny story: her car was sold and she was driving the disco when it happened. She had to take the kids to and from school all through the driver door for days while we were waiting for the part

1 - 11 of 11 Posts