Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just discovered my 96 Disco doesn't have cats or o2sensors. The car has been very thirsty and running rich...I'm assuming since I've done new plugs leads and all the rest that this must have something to do with it. I have been too affraid to go near the dealer with testbook until I get advice from people who have got similar situation. I'm in Australia, anyone know if this is a big hassle?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey mate,
I would get some cats on your disco asap..... I am in Oz as well and down here if you have an unleaded vehicle without cats it can cost you BIG TIME in fines etc... I am not a real genius with sensors as such but i am pretty sure that without o2 sensors your car would be running very rich hence it guzzles so much... But i am no proffesional on the topic......

·
Administrator
16,594 Posts
Where did you buy the truck? If in the states the person you bought it from should be responsible for the replacement of the Cats and O2's.
Mike

·
Registered
720 Posts
dacrts - one more point: the V8 engine in your Disco (assuming you have the 4.0 V8) is notorious for carboning up to the point where the exhaust valve stems jam in their guides. This results in burnt valves which is very expensive. So, the sooner you get the engine running at the exact correct richness the better. There are ways to get some/most of the carbon out of the combustion chamber, but first get those cats and O2 sensors back in place. Cats start at $93 each up here in Canada and the sensors are about $200 each. Are the special little O2 sensor threaded holes still on the exhaust pipes or have they also been removed?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Your '96 in Oz will be a 3.9 and would have come with Cats but they do not run o2 sensors. It will only read the air going into the motor.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The engine number will give you the clue to the engine size. For the Us the engine number would be 35D or 36D depending on if manual or auto for the 3.9which I think finished in '95 for the Us and would be 50D regardless of transmission for ' 96 in the Us. A '96 Oz spec will be 37 or 38. I don't think we got the 4.0 till the start of the series 2 over here. They may have used us to clear the last of the 3.9s being a smaller market ? We also can get a coil sprung LR3 as our base model which from the comment's in the threads was not available in the US.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I remember when we bought our new 96 D1 here in Vancouver - I didn't want any of the so-called 'luxury add-ons' like autotrans, AC, sunroofs, electric windows, electric outside mirrors, alarm system and that stupid autorearview mirror dimmer! I didn't even want the antilock brakes...and would have traded all that stuff for locking front/rear diffs, a PTO winch, 80 series tires and a sun shade like on the old LRs. Apparently, it was possible to get a stripped down Disco at the time, but not here in Canada. Today, with all the amazing (crazy/expensive to fix) gizmos on the new LR3, the situation has become even more extreme. An LR3 with coils and taller tires makes sense to me....
Can you get a diesel 5spd LR3 in Australia/Africa?

·
MG
771 Posts
dacrts said:
I've just discovered my 96 Disco doesn't have cats or o2sensors. The car has been very thirsty and running rich...I'm assuming since I've done new plugs leads and all the rest that this must have something to do with it. I have been too affraid to go near the dealer with testbook until I get advice from people who have got similar situation. I'm in Australia, anyone know if this is a big hassle?
I no longer feel so alone...

My Disco has neither cats nor O2 sensors and is also running a bit rich (and gullping down the petrol).

I posted a thread about this last week and the conclusion I came to after some back-and-forth was that it's goign to stay that way because getting the sensors in the loop would require some knowledge about the ECU (like where the sensor signal goes) - I imagine that getting a reinforced threaded hole built into the exhaust pipe isn't the real challenge...

I'm going to keep trying to lean out the engine and if I find a way, I'll let you know.

Good luck!

·
Magicly Delicious
1,030 Posts
dacrts, if you do have a 3.9 (you intake manifold will tell you, its kind of hard to miss) i hear you can manually tune the mixture, like in a carburated engine. though i've never figured out how to do it my self.

·
Registered
720 Posts
downunderdisco - it's good to hear you can get a manual gearbox. In some ways you have more freedom to get what you might want in Oz than we have in Canada. That's because we are lumped together with the US buying public (and they do not seem to buy manuals). I have the impression that Canada is seen as an extension of the States for consumer items even though there is a distinct difference in preferences between the two countries... Even small ticket items like shoes - we get the same ones as the States even though Canuck feet are wider. Sorry, had to get up early and I'm complaining again!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
RELAX gang

After heaps of research and conversing with Landrover mechanics I have some new ideas.
Aparently the majority of Discos in Australia until 2000 don't run Cats or o2 sensors. They rely totally on the MAF (airflow sensor) and aparently boy do can they screw up.
1) your right they do coke up if you don't have em tuned right and the rebreathers coke up too.
2) most MAF CO idle mix is calibrated into the airflow sensor and sealed at factory but it appears a common complaint from Landrover is that mechanics that don't or think they know better break the factory seal off the side of MAF and recalibrate for whatever reason and increase CO mix from 1%-6% and cause the car to dump fuel while coasting.

My disco has a plastic cap stuck on the side of MAF and clear signs of tampering- seal gone. I have the car booked in this week at a local mechanic who is going to hook it to his Scantool (I know I know Testbook should be the one but he claims it can be set back accurately). I'm hoping this will set it right or at least reveal the reason as to why someone would tamper in the first place.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts