Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 97 discovery and everytime I drive it, the temp gauge says its over heating what is going on..... :complain: And another thing.... when I am driving and I let off the gas, it sounds like it is popping out of gear, it jerks.... can anyone help! Thanks

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
It would seem that the cooling system & transmission needs some attention.
Some more information would be helpful. How many miles is on the clock? I'm assuming from your post it's an automatic.
Overheating is usually caused by cooling fluid loss, if this is the case, you need to find where; leaking hose, blown head gasket, leaking expansion tank, leaking water pump, however, there could be a range of other problems, such as thermostat faulty, poor timing, blocked radiator, air trapped in cooling system etc. Incidently, if you are experiencing serious overheating, don't drive the vehicle until you have found the cause, as you will cause other major problems to occur. If you purchased the vehicle privately, it's possible that it was not maintained very well. Changing the transmission oil should solve the jerking problem.

·
Registered
294 Posts
not sure about the over heating issue/issues.... But i ll take a stab at the pop you say you hear... transfer case chain slack very very common amongst older rovers.. much cheaper to deal with the noise than to have it fixed!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fluctuating

Well now I topped off the coolent, it fluctuates from cold to hot. There are no sighs of overheating though....no smell, bubbling, etc... And as for the transmission should i go to like jiffy lube and have them flush the fluid and replace the filter and gasket? :mad:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Changing the tranny filter is a bitch, you need to remove a crossmember with a special tool which bends the frame out of the way. I don't think Jiffy lube or anyone else will do it other than Land rover, but I stand to be corrected. On my truck, if I am accelerating hard and pull off the gas suddenly, I get a nice clonk sound. Is this what you are hearing? If so, like LRR219 said, learn to enjoy it...

With regards to overheating, possibly the radiator. I know mine has been changed, previous owner did it so I don't know why. But some threads on dweb about overheating were solved with a new radiator. If I remember correctly, rodding the radiator is not an option... Again, someone else may have more insight into this.

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
LRR219 said:
not sure about the over heating issue/issues.... But i ll take a stab at the pop you say you hear... transfer case chain slack very very common amongst older rovers.. much cheaper to deal with the noise than to have it fixed!
A '97 Disco has an LT-230 Transfer case and there is no chain in that box.
You're confusing it with a Borg Warner Transfer Case which was only used in Range Rovers from mid'92 onwards.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes Vray that is what I am hearing... So its nothing to worrie about? And as for the overheating problem Land Rover told me that it might be the thermostat, is that worth changing to see if it works? I will do it myself... :shifty:

·
Banned
73 Posts
Thermostat is cheap and easy - didn't fix my prob though.

Seems that my prob may have been leaves and dirt between the radiator and AC compressor. Found this while installing a shroud I'd made a shroud for 2 electric fans.

·
Registered
734 Posts
A good flushing of the cooling system worked for me....
The "Clonk" maybe NAPWAD....Not A Problem,Works As Designed :confused

·
Registered
10 Posts
Same thing on my 96

I had the same problem. Seems the heater core in these go out quite frequently. I bypassed mine, flushed the radiator, replased coolant with an 80/20 ratio and replaced the thermostat. I havnt overheated since.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.