OK, so I purchased the following from Rovertym:

2" RTE Springs

Front Springs (Heavy Duty)-RR3
Rear Springs (Medium Duty)-RR4

OME Shocks

Front Shocks (Heavy Duty)-N115
Rear Shocks (Medium Duty)-N46

Steering Stabilizer-SD11

I decided to go "heavy duty" in the front because of the Rovertym bull bar, Warn 9000, and a skid plate. I ran all of this past the saleman on the phone and he agreed with choices.

A buddy and I put the suspension on and found that the front suspension ended up being a lot higher than the rear. It's almost as if the rear was not lifted (or very little at all) and the front had 3-4 inches of lift.

What's the deal with this?

Also, upon removing the front springs we found that the two were not even identical. One spring had less coils and was about 1 1/2 inches smaller than the other...???

The disco has approx. 120K miles. I noticed significant vibration coming from the rotoflex driveshaft - I'm guessing I need to do some mods down here to stop the vibrating?

What do you guys think???

· Registered
5,468 Posts
OK, welcome to the site and to the world of modding your rig. All rovers are different, some can go with a 3" lift and have no problems, some have problems with a 1" lift, they are all different.
1 - the springs are unmatched, as in they are set up for different sides to allow for weight, such as the driver, gas, and so forth. Send them back and tell them you want a matched set. Since they have not been used, they should do an outright switch with you, you will probably have to pay for shipping since it was not their fault - and if they do a switch with you, don't whine about paying shipping. RTE are great people.
2 - difference in height - front vs back - again, it's probably the springs you have. Call RTE and explain it to them. If you have the right springs, you will probably have to add a 1" or 1-1/2" spacer. Easy to fabricate if you need to do so or buy them for $60.
3 - vibration, like I said, all rovers are different. You need to replace your rotoflex anyway. Best thing to do and cheapest thing to do is get a driveshaft from a RR (late model) including all mounting hardware and slap that bad boy in. You can do several different things about the vibration, depending on where you live. LOL!!! If you are from Southern California, you will want to put in a TT in the front. If you live in the east coast, you will want to get new - crap, can't remember the name of the part!
Well, anyways, I'm sure others will pipe in here.

· Premium Member
10,167 Posts
Pretty much sums it up roverX..... You could get a caridian joint to help with the vibrations

· Registered
734 Posts
Funrover said:
You could get a caridian joint to help with the vibrations
Is that even legal? :dunno:

Rover you mention spacers, do you know anyone who uses them on a classic? I was looking at some, along with the upper shock mounts from Scorpion, the mounts would give me about 2-3 more inches of downtravel.

Thanks

· Registered
5,468 Posts
DallasRover said:
Is that even legal? :dunno:

Rover you mention spacers, do you know anyone who uses them on a classic? I was looking at some, along with the upper shock mounts from Scorpion, the mounts would give me about 2-3 more inches of downtravel.

Thanks

I think they can be used on a classic. If not, just fab some. How noisy are the Scorpion upper shock mounts? I have heard some that are so clangy that it sounds something breaking doen there.

· Registered
1,506 Posts
roverX said:
I think they can be used on a classic. If not, just fab some. How noisy are the Scorpion upper shock mounts? I have heard some that are so clangy that it sounds something breaking doen there.
You are confusing shock mounts with dislocation cones. The Scorpion dislocation scones are not noisy at all because of the way they are designed. The RTE cones are the noisy ones.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone for the reponses. You guys are like a free technical support hotline...

I'm going to call RTE and see what they say. I kind of like RoverX's comment about putting spacers in the rear to even the lift out. I like the heighth and the look of the front end, but not now because it looks like my disco is popping a wheelie!

Anyone know where to get set of spacers 1" to 1 1/2"? Will I need to make any adjustments any where on the rig because of the added lift?

Also, any hints on a replacement rotoflex if I can't find a used one??

Thanks again.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Whelp, called Rovertym...they said "make sure you didn't put the rear shocks on the front and vice versa"

Sure enough, that was the case.

I'll swap them and let you guys know.

Check out my signature - it applies here!

· Registered
1,506 Posts
roewh said:
Thanks everyone for the reponses. You guys are like a free technical support hotline...

I'm going to call RTE and see what they say. I kind of like RoverX's comment about putting spacers in the rear to even the lift out. I like the heighth and the look of the front end, but not now because it looks like my disco is popping a wheelie!

Anyone know where to get set of spacers 1" to 1 1/2"? Will I need to make any adjustments any where on the rig because of the added lift?

Also, any hints on a replacement rotoflex if I can't find a used one??

Thanks again.
Replace the rotoflex???? Why?? you are going to rip it apart on your first or second off-road trip.... unless of course you use your Disco to go to the mall and not the trail..

· Registered
5,468 Posts
John C said:
You are confusing shock mounts with dislocation cones. The Scorpion dislocation scones are not noisy at all because of the way they are designed. The RTE cones are the noisy ones.

Oops, you're right! :buttrock:

As far as replacing the rotoflex, I meant replacing it with a RR driveline with u-joints, not teplacing the rotoflex with a newer one. Sorry if I wasn't clear on that one. :eek:

· Registered
188 Posts
roewh said:
Whelp, called Rovertym...they said "make sure you didn't put the rear shocks on the front and vice versa"

Sure enough, that was the case.

I'll swap them and let you guys know.

Check out my signature - it applies here!
I'm interested now. I wouldn't think that the ome's would have enough pressure to 'lift' the truck or extend the coils higher at ride height. Maybe they gave you 3" front springs and 2" rear springs.
:confused

· Registered
1,506 Posts
South_Island_Disco said:
Ummm...you can't put the front shocks on the back....they are different?
Better be....or I've just bought the wrong shocks :)
South,

Some vendors in the US sell you shocks with converters at the end (don't ask me why) or they don't have longer shocks that will fit your LR so they throw in the converters. It's just one more item that might break.

2,687 Posts
As for the rotoflex, you can replace the whole driveshaft (~350 from either www.4xshaft.com or www.greatbasinrovers.com) or get a driveshaft shop (or yourself if you feel adventerous) to put new U-Joints on it.. I believe when you replace a rotoflex w/ a ujoint you need a convertor flange (sold at your dealership or at any online parts vendor) and a spacer.

· Registered
1,506 Posts
or get a used RR driveshaft (under $100) and a flange from AB ($89)...

· Registered
10 Posts
John C said:
South,

Some vendors in the US sell you shocks with converters at the end (don't ask me why) or they don't have longer shocks that will fit your LR so they throw in the converters. It's just one more item that might break.

Ok John.. unheard of down here, you buy fronts or backs !
My 1996 Disco with 93,000 kms on it, is down nearly two inches on the drivers side. And.........my job for the weekend?.....new shocks and springs all round.
Then I'll tell my wife how much they cost.........its easier to get forgiveness, than get permission!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.