Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday this problem began with my 97 Disco. It will start once if cold if I do not touch the gas pedal. If it does not catch on the first try, it will not start unless left alone for 30 minutes. The Engine cranks fine. It does not help to pump the gas pedal. I have to leave it alone for around 30 minutes and then will start so far if I do not touch the gas pedal.

The Disco has 92K miles and had regular service done to it. I am running Pen Sync 10W30 oil and the oild change was done 2 weeks ago.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated. I am afraid to drive it to a repair shop since if it stalls on the way, I could be stuck beside the road for 30 minutes or more waiting for it to get ready to start again.

Dave Beatty
[email protected]

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
2 Fuel Filters on a 97 Disco ??

I talked to my brother-in-law about my problem. He said it sounded like a plugged fuel filter. I look at my CD copy of the repair manual and it sounds like there are 2 fuel filters. One near the engine and the other near the fuel tank. Is this true ??

Any advise would be appreciated.

Dave Beatty
[email protected]

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
My two cents....

BeattyD said:
I talked to my brother-in-law about my problem. He said it sounded like a plugged fuel filter. I look at my CD copy of the repair manual and it sounds like there are 2 fuel filters. One near the engine and the other near the fuel tank. Is this true ??

Any advise would be appreciated.

Dave Beatty
[email protected]
If you are sucking something in, it would be in the gas tank. The external fuel filter is in the rear passenger wheelwell. If there is debris in the tank, it would clog the fuel pump in the main tank. There should be a trap in there for large unwanted items.

Then you have to drop and drain or use a pump to drain the tank and then clean it. Personally, I would go into the rear loadspace and look there under the carpet.

I am thinking of something else. Then you restart the second time ,is there a click only the second time or is the starter turning the engine over?

I am thinking either the power cables to the battery are loose or the heavy connections to the starter need inspection/retighting/replacement?

Adam in NYC

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the Tip. I have even a better idea. I invited Brother-in-law to dinner tomorrow. He works on cars for a hobby. He has a 57 Chev wagon that he restoring. I used to do auto repair work when going to college. I used to make fun of customers (behind their backs) that paid to have oil changed. Now I am too lazy and I am the one getting most repair work done for me.......

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
Don't forget...

to properly lubricate or feed your brother-in-law.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well ... Here is the update.

Brother-in-law installed new fuel filter.
..No improvement, vehicle would not start.

Brother-in-law replaced spark plugs which appeared to be original (92K miles)
..Some improvement. Vehicle starts but has no power and is back firing.

Next step is to try to drive vehicle to repair shop since will run at low speed.

Suspect problem with coil. Have triple checked the spark plug wires.
coil 1 - 1 and 6 cylinders
coil 2 - 5 and 8 cylinders
coil 3 - 4 and 7 cylinders
coil 4 - 2 and 3 cylinders

Did have to go with Champ Spark plug RN11YC4 since NAPA did not have RN11YCC and NAPA said RN11YC4 was a valid replacement.

Real strange problem. Vehicle ran fine 2 days ago.

Any advise appreciated.

Dave Beatty

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Problem solved.....

Problem was a plugged throttle body (area right after the air filter) and PCV Valve. The Dealer that I bought the Disco from spray some polish like material to make the engine look shiny and this gummed up the engine alot.

Had the rest of the 90K Service done.

I was pleased that the total invoice was $1000 for the full 90K service (The dealer quoted me $1100 for just the 90K service) including fixing the backfiring and loss of power issue. The also replaced the rear brakes with rotor turning....

My Baby is well again. All is well with the world. :)

Dave Beatty

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.