Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1 Month ago I had a similar problem. Had the 90,000 mile service done including clean of the intake behind the air filter that was plugged that caused the starting and running problem. The 90K service included plugs, all filters, all fluids, .......

Tonight when I went to leave work.. she would not start. Cranks ok so no starter or battery issue.

I took the 3 inch rubber air hose between the air filter and the fuel injector off and I was able to see the throttle gate so not plugged this time. I suspect the fuel pump or a fuse that controls the fuel pump. I smell no gas when I try to start it.

Any suggests or help always appreciated.

I have roadside assistance, so I plan to get her towed back to the garage that worked on her 1 month ago.

Dave Beatty
97 Discovery with 93,000 miles.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update on problem.

This morning after leaving it sit for the night in the secure work parking lot with the rubber hose that connects the air filter to the fuel injector off, I tried to start her before going into the office. She would start but would immediately die. Did this about 10 times. RPM goes to 2000 and then dies. Then I put the rubber hose back on and now it won't start at all. Engine turns over fine so starter and berry is fine. My USSA roadside towing policy will tow her to a repair shop. I may hold off til tomorrow since got a baseball game to go to this afternoon (Mariners vs the Phillies)....

Thanks for any advise given.

Dave Beatty
97 Discovery with 93000 miles
Recently had 90,000 mile full service done including plugs, all filters, all fluids.....

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update #2 on problem.

Tow truck arrives and the drivers asks if he can try to start vehicle. Of course he climbs in and she starts right away. I drove her to the repair shop with the tow truck following. No charge by the tow truck driver. When I get to the repair shop, I turn off the vehicle and she won't start. left her for the experts to fix.

I will give final report later when repair is done.

Dave Beatty
97 Discovery with a mind of its own.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Final report of this problem

Turns out problem was a bad fuel pump.

Total cost to get the in the tank fuel pump replaced including Labor.... $750 ... Ouch.

That brings my running total for repairs on my 97 Discovery to $2200 for Brakes, Fuel Pump, and 90000 mile service.....

A little rich for my blood but should be good to go for awhile.

Dave Beatty

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.