Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening all. Just signed up I've been reading this forum for a few months and am impressed with all the help you guys give one another. With this being said I have a clicking when I'm turning on my '98 DISCO. Any ideas or suggestions. I really don't want to go to my local LR Dealer until I have a good idea of the problem. They have a tendisy to miss diagnose problems. All responces will be appreciated.

·
Banned
914 Posts
Swivel ball may be low/out of grease, or the CV may be toasted.

Adding grease, or a thick gear oil to the swivel ball is a 10 minute job, with no special tools needed. Search the web for tech articals....

Swapping a CV is a little more advanced. First time around, it may take you 2-3 hours. But, the second time may only take you 30 minutes...Only real special tool needed are a hub nut tool, and snap ring pliers. Again, search the web for tech articals....

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
I'll go along with Hank, to a point. You deffinately need to check the lube level in the offending side. Land Rover has switched, and is recommending older vehicles also switch to a Moly Sulphide lubricant, from 90-140 weight gear oil. I did the switch myself, but, am not totally convinced. I'll save passing my opinion till I can inspect the grease after another 6 months.

The clicking noise is most likely coming from the CV joint withing the swivel ball, and if you're hearing it at all, it's a good bet you have little or no lube in the swivel housing. In any case, the CV is dry. When a CV joint is fully angled, the balls travel the full length of each groove, going from full inside to full outside in each revolution. The balls are loose within a retaining cage, and when they go to the full outside of each groove, there is much more room for them to move, the outside edge having no 'stop'. The fully lubed CV won't make the noise, only because the grease keeps them cushioned.
In the case of an external CV, enclosed in a rubber boot, as in front wheel drive cars like Honda, Saab, etc., when the boot gets torn, the grease is slung out, and road dirt gets in and grinds the races (grooves) and balls to a fairtheewell. Unless you have been wading, water and dirt have not likely entered the swivel housing, and a good cleanout and lube (go with the LR reccomended grease) will cure the problem. Noisy CV joints are a huge profit maker for services stations. The honda dealer quoted my daughter over 700 to do her front pair. a doteing boyfriend, who works at an autoparts store got two new ones, put them in saturday morning (2 hrs total) and she was out a whole 90 bucks. Rebuilding them is a big aftermarket buisness which entails little more than cleaning, new grease and new boots. Not quite as easy a job on a Land Rover, but they don't go nearly so often.

·
Registered
178 Posts
does the clicking happen during the motion of turning the steering wheel. or when the vehicle is turning. a small distinction. I'm assuming you mean when the vehicle is turning, which is probably the cv. If your steering wheel is clicking, i don't know what that would mean.

-Jesse

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
So is the clicking coming rom under the truck or possibily the steerin wheel. Turn signal switchs can cause this , so can a failing steering shaft.
Can you be more specific?
Mike J.

·
Registered
909 Posts
It sure sounds like dry swivel balls, I heard mine about 4 months ago, as soon as I got home, checked the balls, they were bone dry. I put oil in it, quiet as a mouse. You may have leaks, so watch for them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.