Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, this is my first forum/chat message. My 98 Tdi Discovery shredded its fan belt. Result = no power steering, no alternator and no water pump. I purchased a new belt, but how do I get it on? Cannot work out how to 'release' or adjust tensioner, if that is the way. Can anyone advise? Are their any online manuals I could consult? Thanks and Happy New Year. Suresh

·
Registered
5 Posts
Disco 300 fan belt

Hi Suresh,

You need a 15mm spanner to fit on the belt tensioner which is the freewheeling pully just below the top radiator hose (engine end). This pully is fitted to a spring loaded arm and it needs to be pushed upwards to fit the new fan belt. Remove the top of the fan cowl and by fitting your spanner in a vertical position to the centre bolt fixing the pully to the arm, you can push the spanner to the left against the spring pressure to raise the pully. You will need a long handle spanner as the effort is high. It is best to use a 15mm socket with a long "T" bar. The help from a second person to hold the tensioner up will leave your two hands free to fit the belt.

Make sure the belt is fitted correctly around the pullys before starting the engine. Let me know if you need an image of the way the belt goes around the pullys.

Good luck and have fun,

Graeme

1 - 2 of 2 Posts