Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about buying a 98 discovery with 102k. The asking price is $5200. What should I be looking for with this many miles. The guy said its full time 4 wheel drive?. Any help and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
thanks
Digger

·
4,576 Posts
sorry bout that bud, i had been writing to you whenyou first posted but had to close the window becuase my boss walked in..lol...give me a few minutes to collect my thoughts and type up what you should be checking for and asking...

·
Registered
590 Posts
Digger the forum is slow this week.

Just wait.

If you are in So Cal, call inland rovers up and see if they can do a once over on it. Im sure they will charge fo rthat. But they are great and they all drive rovers.

I have a 2000, so I am not any help on that model.

Yes, rovers are full time 4wd in high gear. YOu slow down if you want to slam it into low to climb in,out or over something nutty.
Keep researching, a Rover is an incredible vehicle.

·
Registered
590 Posts
P.S. my 2000 has 118k miles on it.

·
4,576 Posts
First, ask if all maintenence was performed on schedule and by the dealer, if not by the dealer a trusted LR shop. Was it driven off-road? Was the Gas Tank replaced in the recent recall? (if it wasnt dont worry about it because LR will replace it free of charge)

Hailsharky, I agree...everyone's excited about the site-stickers thats all :D :wave:

Also, have a shop run a diognostics on all the sensors to make sure everything's ok...shouldn't be more than $100 and this is a process thats TOTALLY worth it and will save you from problems in the future.

·
Wheeler
1,843 Posts
I agree w/ everything binary said. Ensure you obtain verification of standard maint. Take it to an INDIE ROVER shop (that's two important parts: 1) Independent,,,,2) Rover,,,not another/general mechanic no matter how good) to have him pull codes & do a general diagnostic. WORTH the money. You will most likely encounter some sort of leakage,,, it's part of owning a Rover. Look for lose bolts on valve cover. Gaskets/seals may need replacing on valve cover, head, rear main. Almost all leak,,,just a matter of how much & is it bearable. Very costly to replace so often better to put up w/ it. Also examine for signs of leakage around sun roofs. Look for any signs of rust. At this mileage check drive shafts, mass air, and look for minor electric issues (door locks infamous, radio issues, A/C, etc). Also, find out if it's still riding original suspension---springs & shocks are probably ready to be replaced at 102,,,depending on the driving habits of seller,,,and of course brakes,,all the basic stuff. Mech can pull codes & diagnose all this fairly quickly as he'll know exactly what to look for. Find a good indie shop, set up an appt, get seller to let you take it for a few hour test, and get it down there for a diagnostic.

It sounds like a lot but you can't find a more capable off-road vehicle in stock form. Plus who wants to drive the "same ole" that everyone else is driving?? Good luck, let us know how it goes. :drink1:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.