Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Advise: I am thinking of buying my very first RR for my wife and kids. The LRRR 4.0 I'm look'n at has 150K orig, 1 owner. Has some elect issues; a few windows and sunroof won't work, AC/Heater is intermittent, blower runs constantly. Needs head gasket, tune up, some other little things.

Looks great, interior is good. I have been a Landcruiser fan all my life and have had 2 FJ40's and 1 FJ60, so this RR will be my wife's luxury 4x4 and a daily runner for her and the kids.

I have read all the woes of the reliability factor. I am a fairly competent shadetree mechanic and I have YouTube. No fear of the maint. I love the look and feel of the RR, my wife deserves the pampering, I am concerned having her and the kids out and about and breaking down. Although, the size and safety factor of the construction is a big benefit.

I'll be saving about $500usd/mo by ditching her newer luxury suv and getting her this...which is a huge step up regardless.

Is this a good move for the price?

·
wjsj69
124 Posts
Been there, done that! IF you take care of ALL the issues before the wife ever gets in it, you should be fine. But, brother, my wife has the new, warranty car, while I drive the old Rover. There's nothing more frustrating than lining up your to-do list, when the wife comes home and says: "the car is making a weird noise, can you look at it for me?"

Also, look up rover v8 head gasket and slipped liner problems before you think that you are buying something that "just needs head gasket". A remanufactured engine is gonna blow your budget if you need one..

Range Rover P-38's are a dime-a-dozen these days, I would hold out for something with less miles IMHO.

good luck!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Been there, done that! IF you take care of ALL the issues before the wife ever gets in it, you should be fine. But, brother, my wife has the new, warranty car, while I drive the old Rover. There's nothing more frustrating than lining up your to-do list, when the wife comes home and says: "the car is making a weird noise, can you look at it for me?"

Also, look up rover v8 head gasket and slipped liner problems before you think that you are buying something that "just needs head gasket". A remanufactured engine is gonna blow your budget if you need one..

Range Rover P-38's are a dime-a-dozen these days, I would hold out for something with less miles IMHO.

good luck!
Sounds like this truck could easily cost you more than $500 per month, I look at an L322 with a BMW engine instead. Much better truck overall and the kind of money this truck needs, the cost is probably about the same for initial outlay, with a much better residual on the L322. The 03-05 Range Rover with the BMW M62 is a much better vehicle overall if you want to get your wife a Range Rover, they go well into 200k miles for less money than the P38A. Sounds to me like you might want to do some more research before jumping into this. JMHO though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.