Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, everything has been working for a while so I thought I would look at the CD player under the passenger seat. I get a message saying No Cassette but it is in there with a full complement of cds.

What do I do to get it to read the cassette? Any ideas out there? It used to work and then I just got lazy and forgot about it.

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts
Mine comes up with the same message once in a while but if I eject the tray and then re insert it it works fine. I figure it is just dirty / dusty and needs a good clean internally.
I have a couple of spares as well if it ever craps out completely

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you both. Apparently there is no separate fuse for the cd player. I checked the owner's manual and see one for the radio. Radio works so it must not be a fuse problem.

Again, where do I find the head and that connector?

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
If I recall correctly, there's a fuse in the CD player under the seat. I believe there's another one in the back of the radio. The head unit is another term for the radio/tape player itself. It's not likely that connector is the problem since the cable from the CD player snaps very firmly into another plastic piece with other connectors and then snaps into the back of the radio. but if you have the radio tool, it takes 30 seconds to check.

Those Alpine CD changers have always been problematic. My daughter's BMW would eat one about once a year.

FWIW, GROM makes a fantastic interface that replaces the changer- you can connect an iPod or Android direct to the factory system.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks. Will look; too dark last night.

Nope, no fuse. Behind the unit under the seat is a connector with half covered in clear plastic; it evidently has not been touched since the truck was built. In addition there is a black velcro cover which protects a second plastic connector unit. Nothing else behind it.

At the front there is no fuse or wiring that I can find.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Does it eject the cassette? Give any other sort of signs of life?

The eject should work as it's an electrical function internal to the changer, not an electronic command originating in the head unit. That is, providing it's plugged in and no fuse problems. I will look today at the truck I'm parting right now. I was going to pull the dash out anyway this weekend.

Did you pop the radio out and look at those plugs? i can't remember exactly, but I seem to recall fuses in the rear of that radio case. Alot of them do these days.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It pops out the cassette out just fine so it has power. To remove the radio do you stick in those flat metal tabs with a hook at one end like on the Mercedes? If it were a fuse, would the cassette still pop out?

I am guessing it is just dirty. Do not have anything to blow it out with. Wonder if a can of air would do the job? Looks hard to remove it from below the seat.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
No need to remove the radio. If it's ejecting, it's connected.

Sometimes those Alpine changers get their drive mechanism out of sync. They are complex little bastards and not fun to work on.

The CD changer is very easy to remove. Just remove the plastic skirting from around the seat base and then remove the four bolts that hold the seat in. :)

·
Registered
674 Posts
Def agreed with CT.

CD changer is a finicky beast, I'm on my second one. If they eject, more than likely the cassette is fine.

If you load with 6 CDs you should here 6 consecutive gear movements/sounds associated within he changer itself. If you remove and put the cassette back in and don't here any sound or not all 6 gear movements then the display could read "CD ERROR" or "NO DISC"

usually I just remove and put the cassette back in until I hear the sounds and then I know I'm good to go.

Cheers!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.