Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1999 DII - for a long time neither sunroof will open. I hear a click when I hit the open button and close button for each one - located at top of windshield between front sunvisors. So it is not the fuse (#12 30 amp) and I guess not a relay because I have power. They both stopped working at the same time so I do not see how it could be the motors. Unplugged and inspected the two switches and the center switch (which I assume is a kid lockout for the back sunroof); they looked brand new. Had thought maybe they were rusted but not so.

Anyone have a recommendation about what to do next? Do not think LR put in a hand crank for emergencies but not sure.

·
Super Moderator
2,118 Posts
All sunroofs should have a mechanical method for closing, usually a torx bit tool.
As for why they are not working, you will have to get more in depth into testing.
There is also control modules for front and rear individually (above the headliner) so a bit of a pain to access

·
very disco
1,182 Posts
Have you tried gently assisting them to open? I do not believe that the control units care about motor run time or distance traveled, but about stop resistance. Its possible they both got gunked shut over a season of unuse?

after resealing my roofs, one was slightly off and would stop closing at about 75% travel due to binding. If I gave it a little help with another button press it would close.

also if your roofs have been leaking, you might drop the headliner and check the grounds.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
At the present I am looking for my copy of Rave; cannot find it. Anyone got a copy that I can download? Want to find where that torx is to grind open the sunroof.

·
very disco
1,182 Posts
I have a copy I can link you to when I get home.
I wasn’t looking when I removed my roofs, but I don’t remember seeing anything like that

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I just found Rave on the forum. Looked at sunroof section 76-6 and did not find anything about a torx to open the sunroof manually. There is a diagram of a handle and mechanism but looks like it is for non-automatic sunroofs.

At a standstill now.

PS - I think Rave is kinda hard to use.

·
G4 Mike
97 Posts
Well, I just found Rave on the forum. Looked at sunroof section 76-6 and did not find anything about a torx to open the sunroof manually. There is a diagram of a handle and mechanism but looks like it is for non-automatic sunroofs.

At a standstill now.

PS - I think Rave is kinda hard to use.
My 2004 has a small cover to remove that covers an allen head in the shaft of the motor. I had to use it one day to get mine closed. It is right in front of the sunroof itself.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The motor is located in front of the front sunroof? What exactly did you have to remove to get to the motor - just some plastic cover or maybe part of the headliner?

·
Super Moderator
2,118 Posts
There should be a small rectangular blanking plate (between the switches and the roof glass opening. The Allen screw or torx head screw should be in that hole

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
The sunroof motors are sharing the same earth and the same ECU so use a multimeter with needle probes and measure voltage on any of the two motor's connector in situ then switch it to move... if you hear the click and the voltage drops it can be a bad earth... scroll down below middle in the following link and you can find PDF docs with WSM, circuit diagrams and electrical library for NAS D2s Land Rover Workshop Manuals

watch the sunroof's diagram then go to electrical library - connector views to see where the earth point is cos it has the number on it for example C0018 from where it goes to C0454/0457(these are from the RHD scheme so for NAS might be different

·
Super Moderator
2,118 Posts
Frey I the electronic master ??

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
No worries... your backs are covered when it comes to D2 electrics :cool:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts