Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 99 discovery 1 and it has absolutely no power going down the road. If the ground is flat, it will go and eventually get up to speed, but it takes forever and will not go much over 70 mph. Going up even a slight incline it will steadily slow to a crawl until the ground levels out. It is running like it has a plugged cat, but in reading most of these posts, there doesn't seem to be a lot of converter issues with these vehicles. It does idle smooth though. The check engine lite came on yesterday and it read a single code of system too lean in banks 1 and bank 2. Is it talking about the o2 sensors as the banks? The ABS light is also on and I remember reading something about this controlling something for the fuel system?

It also will not start if it sits for longer than a couple hours. If it's warm and driving it from place to place it will fire right up, But sitting too long it is loosing pressure in the fuel rail. If I push the shader valve in the rail right after driving it, it will spray me in the face, but after a few hours it just dribbles out. Is that the fuel pressure regulator at the motor or an issue with the return line in the tank that is probably causing that?

This has obviously been happening for a while from the previous owner, e truck has new plugs, 7 mm wires and the coil packs look pretty new as we'll. I was going to start with replacing the fuel filter, but I just wanted to get some other input from some of the experts on this forum. My intention is to get this truck back running properly and take care of it, it only has 141k on it. Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have got a fuel prrssure gauge on it when it is acting up and the fuel pressure is 13 lbs so im thinking fuel pump. Any one think of anything else that may cause this problem or work in conjunction with it?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have done plugs, wires and fuel filter, so that's why I was assuming the low fuel pressure was the pump. I didn't know if the low fuel pressure in the line would allow the fuel to slowly back flow back into the tank or I had another problem like Tom suggested with leaking injectors. I do have it parked now and am searching for my cheapest fuel pump option but will still work. I'm looking for one mid price range, I've found them on eBay and Amazon ranging from $85 up to $550. Will those cheaper aftermarket ones work? Some of them say they don't have the evaporative system with it. Thanks for the feedback though guys.

·
Registered
4,794 Posts
Ermagerd! Those have gotten stupidly expensive, I'm glad I only have two AEL trucks.

Pay the money, buy the new one. Any way you look at it, the assembly is 15 years old, the plastic gets brittle, the steel corrodes, you're better off buying a new one.

I just checked my price, getting one from the UK, the best I can do it about $700, but brandy new, Land Rover OE.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok so I was looking around and found a wrecked 99 disco 1 in a bone yard, same as mine and it was one of those you pull it places and they said I could have it for $25, so I figured I'd see if it worked, worst case was I wasted an hour of my day cause if it didn't they'd give me my money back. I put in the pump and I've got a smooth flow of about 33 psi to the rail and the truck runs as smooth as silk. It also took care of the hard start after it sits for a while. Now I have a back up pump that I'm going to see if I can order just the pump rebuild kit and have a spare in case this I just put in goes out. I was also able to pick the bone yard truck of pretty much every sensor, switch, and misc parts as I could carry. I left with 3 wheel barrows full of goods and only spent $235!

Thanks again Tom and PT for your advise and tips!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.