Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Occasionally after stopping for a few minutes, like going into a convenience store, I get back in to crank up, the motor spins, but won't crank. I let it sit a few seconds, hit the ignition and it cranks right up. It has never done this in the morning, or after sitting for hours. Just for the heck of it, I let it crank over for 30 seconds one time, and it never would crank. So now I know if it doesn't crank within 3 seconds, I stop, let it sit a few seconds, then it cranks immediately. But I fear this is something that may later get worse, something like a fuel pump. Any Ideas?

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Start by looking at your fuel system, fuel filter, pump and relays.
You need to give us more specific information, what have you checked so far, how many miles on the truck??
Mike j.

·
Registered
28 Posts
S Couch said:
Occasionally after stopping for a few minutes, like going into a convenience store, I get back in to crank up, the motor spins, but won't crank. I let it sit a few seconds, hit the ignition and it cranks right up. It has never done this in the morning, or after sitting for hours. Just for the heck of it, I let it crank over for 30 seconds one time, and it never would crank. So now I know if it doesn't crank within 3 seconds, I stop, let it sit a few seconds, then it cranks immediately. But I fear this is something that may later get worse, something like a fuel pump. Any Ideas?
:dunno: I take it by 'crank' you mean start?????? :dunno:

If so then it sounds as though you have an air leak in the system, a weak lift pump, broken pick-up pipe, dodgy stop solenoid or it may be something Fuel injection Pump related...

I would go (based on the symptoms and recent experience for the lift-pump or air leak - start at the tank and move forward looking for any areas that are 'damp' with fuel and collecting dust - the sedimenter is a favourite for leaks. Check the 'tell-tale' hole at the base of the lift-pump for signs of fuel - it's also a common area - also check the oil to see if it smells of fuel - its possible for it to get into the sump from the lift pump......

Just some thoughts for starters...

By the way - it IS a diesel - isnt it!????? :dunno:

Bri
:beer:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts