Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok gentleman, after four years of lurking, its time that I finally post with an issue! Let me start with the background

Four years ago, The wife wanted a new vehicle since we moved to Wisconsin, and family vans arent exactly good for climbing steep driveways in the wintertime. So, I looked around and bought a 99 Disco II that was in great shape, and to be honest, Ive always been the fan of LR's. So. . .fast forward to two years ago, wife is driving the Disco and hits some black ice on a curve, it manages to hold on til she makes it around the corner, but ultimately ended up in the ditch on its side. She gets towed out and flatbedded to the house. Insurance wants to total it out, since its got 150k miles, and the upper half of the R/R quarter panel ends up tweaked, glass broken out, and R/R lights broken out. So we take the payout on it, and I buy the Disco back from the insurance company just because I liked it so much. I figure if anything, it can be a great winter beater for me if I can do the repairs on it.
The Disco gets parked while I end up deploying overseas to Afghanistan without my doing any repairs on it yet, so it sits, and sits, and sits. Fast forward to last Saturday, and I finally get the chance to start working on it due to a break in the weather. Initially, It doesnt start, mainly because the battery was dead, so I try jumping it with liberal amounts of starter fluid. No luck. So I end up putting a new battery in and while it will turn over, it wont start. So, I jump on the forums here, and find out about the inertia switch, so I reset it, and try again. No luck. I also notice that M&S modes are blinking, so instantly I think Crank Position Sensor (I learned this from you great folks here!) So I go on down to O'reillys and buy a Bosch factory one and install it. Reconnect the battery, jump in, and fire it up. When I say "fire it up" I mean, it turns over and goes straight to 5000 rpms! So of course I shut it down thinking maybe it was the starter fluid causing the issue. After a few starts where it high revv'ed on me each time, it finally calms down and maintains about 1000 rpms at idle. So I take it out for a ride, and I have it high revving on me while driving! This of course means Im stomping on the brakes, and its still wanting to Ricky-Bobby (I wanna go FAST!) on me. So I shut it down again, and start fiddling around and try to restart it.
It fires up just fine as usual, and I take off down the road and as Im accelerating, I notice the RPM's shooting back up faster than Im accelerating. I was lucky enough to be right by my house, so I pull into my driveway riding the brakes hard. After a little more investigation, I notice the acceleration cables got some "oxidation" on them. So I clean them off and run some penetrating oil on them, and now notice they dont stick as much.

That being said. . . Should I lubricate these cables? What do the guru's here think? I love this disco, and want to see her back on the road, but I also will be transporting my children in it, so I dont want to run into an issue where it takes off on me and puts my family in a unsafe situation. Any help you great folks here can give me would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Bill Stormfeather

·
Mr. t
561 Posts
I would look a bit closer at the throttle body. Pull off the air box connection and look for deposits around the butterfly. Throttle body cleaner will knock it right out.

How cold was it up there? You might want to check and see if you still have coolant lines running to your tb. They could've been bypassed and your tb is freezing up on you. I'm pretty sure Wisconsin is cold enough to merit keeping those lines attached.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would look a bit closer at the throttle body. Pull off the air box connection and look for deposits around the butterfly. Throttle body cleaner will knock it right out.

How cold was it up there? You might want to check and see if you still have coolant lines running to your tb. They could've been bypassed and your tb is freezing up on you. I'm pretty sure Wisconsin is cold enough to merit keeping those lines attached.

All this work was done now that the temp has gotten above 40*, There hasnt been any mods done to the engine as far as I know, so those lines should be still attached.

·
Mr. t
561 Posts
It's really easy to check. At the bottom of the throttle body there's a plate with two hoses coming off the bottom. As long as there are hoses hooked up you're good. It was a really common mod to rovers because the gasket at that aforementioned plate is a leak spot.

Though at 40* there was no way you were freezing up.

·
Mr. t
561 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.