Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was out on trails last night with my gf, in my gf 's 99 discovery II and turned the truck off after about 40 minutes of semi-rough road. When i turned the key to start it again nothing, my battery is fine lights and displays are functioning. fuses appear to be good. Just one click and then nothing. I've come to think it might be starter solenoid. My gf and i slept out there and then walked to the nearest road in the morning, i'm hoping i can fix it in the bush. any ideas? Is there a way to bypass the starter or something..no chance of getting a tow truck out there. and can you pull a disco II in neutral for a bit, until we can get her on a flatbed..

Oh and hello from New Mexico, we've been utilizing the forum but never posted.
99 Disco II
02 Disco II SE w/steel bumpers.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Was out on trails last night with my gf, in my gf 's 99 discovery II and turned the truck off after about 40 minutes of semi-rough road. When i turned the key to start it again nothing, my battery is fine lights and displays are functioning. fuses appear to be good. Just one click and then nothing. I've come to think it might be starter solenoid. My gf and i slept out there and then walked to the nearest road in the morning, i'm hoping i can fix it in the bush. any ideas? Is there a way to bypass the starter or something..no chance of getting a tow truck out there. and can you pull a disco II in neutral for a bit, until we can get her on a flatbed..

Oh and hello from New Mexico, we've been utilizing the forum but never posted.
99 Disco II
02 Disco II SE w/steel bumpers.
Couple of things I can think of off the top of my head. First would be the CkPS. Usually, when it cools off the truck will start again. The other would be a rollover sensor, which you can push to re-set. I'm leaning towards the CkPS. Could be changed on-site, but a bit of a PITA if you've never done it before.
No issue pulling. Put the transfer case and trans in neutral and your good to go.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Out of the bush but still no luck with the starter.

Went out last night and attempted to bypass the relay or solenoid, with no success. I've never done it before, so not sure if i had the right concept, touched positive lead to nut with small red wire coming off starter relay as somebody else turned the key, made sparks. The click or clunk coming from the starter was more pronounced after subsequent turns of the key. It seems like the starter wants to turn but can't. As if the starter can't turn the motor over. Chain towed the truck back to my house..4x4 towing for an hour, at a freezing 2 oclock in the morning was a grande ole time for my hapless companion and I. Can you/anyone describe, or is there a thread describing how to manually turn the crank to see if it isn't the CSPS? Or if bypassing the relay is possible and how to do it? Is replacing the solenoid a viable solution, or the whole starter motor..? Thanks!
and i couldn't figure out how to get the floppy aluminum manifold covering starter off, so i just pulled it aside.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pulled the starter, tested it and it was no bueno. Hopefully, all i have to do is slap the new one in, once it arrives, and I'm good to go. Didn't even have to take the manifold off. a pretty easy pull all things considered. Was kind of a pain getting the lower right-hand allen bolt off, nothing a couple extensions and added leverage didn't help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.