Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Replacing the stock tape deck was quite a project. It's not like working on a Ford Taurus or a Kia Rio. I brought my truck into the regular car audio shops in my area and nobody would touch it. Which I will learn to be common practice in my area with a Land Rover. So a buddy of mine and I took on the project. We were unable to get a wiring harness that would work with the factory amp so we had to re-wire all of the speakers. We got it done in a couple hours. We installed a Mp3 player as well as an amp and some subs. Nothing real dramatic or head busting, but it sure sounds good.

Before

Before

After

After

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I want to say that there are most definitely bigger and louder systems out there. I am not trying to make a truck that will knock pictures off the neighbors walls (been there done that). Just wanted something that would sound nice as well as be easily removeable. And to show some of you other Disco owners that regardless of what local car audio shops will tell you, it can be done.

·
LRO Founder
2,006 Posts
Velco... don't laugh.. there is industrial strength 3M velcro that will hold a monitor in place... it is VERY strong, and no need to drill holes in your Disco..

Serg

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
JamesVee said:
Replacing the stock tape deck was quite a project. It's not like working on a Ford Taurus or a Kia Rio. I brought my truck into the regular car audio shops in my area and nobody would touch it. Which I will learn to be common practice in my area with a Land Rover.
Well, you just separated the men from the girlie boys.....THEY WONT TOUCH YOUR TRUCK.

When you have a chance, show them with your photos and show them what they missed ....your moola!!!!

I don't know why they act like that. They chop up everything and scratch things up. Why not yours?

Enjoy and hope to hear you soon.

Adam in NYC

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Adam, one of the "local" audio places I went to was Best Buy. After two hours of waiting, they told me that they couldn't even remove my factory deck, and that they would have to re-wire all of my factory speakers at a going rate of $68/hr. I basically told them to f-off that if that were the case I'd much rather do it myself. From there on, nobody would touch it. And I'm actually real happy that nobody else did. We had the factory deck out (still took close to an hour), the amp hooked up, and all speakers re-wired in 3.5 hours.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.