Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What can you tell me abt it? I have been pondering the purchase of one (not necessarily a 99) for awhile. since i totalled my xterra, ive been looking around. came across a 99 w/ 54000 on the odo. safari snorkel, sliders, rear bumper, old man emu 2" lift, arb bullbar and onboard compressor, 2x 8 (or 9) inch ipf lights. front and rear skids. wired for cb already. interior is immaculate. paint is nearly perfect...asking less then 15k for it. test drive was really impressive.
what i would like to know are your personal issues...and what i can expect. avg yearly maint costs? hows it handle off road? any issues i need to know about it that i won't find via land rover itself? thanks in advance all...

· Registered
106 Posts
see if its had a new engine put it. Seems that ive seen quite a few 98-00 with new blocks. Any way, id take it to a LR dealer and have a complete diagnostic done on it including a compression check, to make sure the block is still good. See if its had a new head gasket done, if not check for bad leakage. There just seems to be a lot of "little things" that seem to go wrong. If your mechanically inclined and do **** yourself, you'll learn quick that sometimes theese things can be quirky. But when all said and done, When they do run great, its a blast to own one, especially with all the things youve listed that are on the one you want to buy. Goo dluck bro.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thx for your prompt response. i will see about that, how much will it cost me to get those inspections done on avg? if its leaking, it isn't when it is sitting still, i checked that immediately. wasn't anything sitting under it before i drove it, and i waited abt 20 mins afterwards and the only thing dripping was condensation (i tasted it lol). ran good as far as i could tell.
i was thinking last night and today, i wasn't really too specific on what i will be doing w/ it. it is going to be a daily driver (minimal miles as i have a company vehicle) but its primary use will be off road. any issues w/ the 4wd system, or anything extremely susceptible to breaking during normal use that i need to know about? for example...what kind of extra parts should i keep in the back? in my xterra, i had to have an alternator w/ me all the time b/c the alt is at the bottom of the engine, and i love playin in water. what should i waterproof? does anything really need waterproofing? what abt leakage? how deep can i go before it starts coming into the cab?

· Registered
106 Posts
oh, and as for the price, i got an 01 with 50k miles for 15k. If you totaled up how much all the extra stuff is worth to you, then consider it. But for a 99 with 54k, id think 12-14 might be a good price. It all depends on what you see and where you live tho and condition its in.

· Registered
521 Posts
Xcitan:
As JMan said, those are the price brackets for the Discos, but they do depend where you are.One thing I can tell you for shure based on my experience with buying/selling cars(I like cars and I've owned/selled quite a vast amount of makes and models) as I like to buy broken cars and cars with minor crashes in order to fix and sell them in order to make some extra cash.Even if the owner/dealer tells you price is firm, there's always a good chance you can still haggle a bit, so don't consider the amount they gave you as a fixed price.On the other hand, that Disco is loaded up with expensive accesories, that if you were to buy them extra for another truck, I'm almost shure the total quote on accesories could rise up to a couple thousand dollars.You can even see it for yourself at www.atlanticbritish.com by checking the prices on the accesories that Disco has.Just my opinion.
Carlos

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah, i know abt the parts. i had an arb w/ winch, lights, snorkel, rear bumper, suspension and body lift, wheels and tires all on my xterra, its not cheap. i'll look into disco 2 and i appreciate all of your input. keep it coming! im going to try and get some pictures of it tomorrow to post on here and you can see it and tell me what you think. from my experience, its extremely clean to be built the way it is. extremely. i dont think it was built just to look at...the previous owner def knew what he was doing...

· Registered
106 Posts
cool, also im always curious to look even more closely at a vehicle that has been modified the way your talking about just cause it probably was taken and beaten off road a little bit. But, you never know - they could have jsut wanted to look cool and never excercised it off road (street Queen). But do look for mud packed in the frame holes/nooks & crannies to make sure it wasnt buried up to the windows in a mud pit. Also, check to see if it has been pressurewashed underneath, also evidence of trying to mask a bigger prob. Also, if i had put all that $$ into the rover, i wouldnt let it go. Maybe its a bank repo rover that your looking at. See if you can find out.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah, im workin on that. they were abt to close when i found it and didn't really have time to find out more then i posted about. i did look under it, not tooooo hard, but hard enough to check for the obvious signs of misuse and abuse. skids had some scratches, but no major dings or anything. any wire or anything "loose" that was under there was ziptied to the frame or whatever was nearby to keep it from getting caught on anything. there wasn't anything in the alternator, so at least its either a new alternator or it wasn't too deep or ran into water/mud that hard. sliders didn't even look like they havebeen used, but there is a can of black spraypaint conveniently located in the rear cargo area to mask that...but from my experience, my quick once over would be someone elses 30-45 minute inspection. i looked at it for what it could do for me, and was impressed. its my honest opinion that whoever did the wrench time knew exactly what he was doing and didn't beat the hell out of it offroad. took it probably, but didn't try to kill it

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.