Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to run this by you guys, there is no Land Rover shop in the state Im traveling through so I brought it to a shop nearby.

We pulled codes p1300, p0308, p0306, p0300

The guy says it is misfire 6,8 Low fuel pressure 6,8

When we turn the key it will crank for days, acts like there is no fuel getting to her. Once in 10 tries she might start once and drive pretty smooth so I dont think this is crank position, but will throw the above codes. If I shut her off I might not be able to restart her for a long time or it might start, its 50/50.

157k miles, plugs, wires, o2s, are new within the last 6 months, coil is new this month, MAF was cleaned and has run nicely for 1400 miles. Coil helped solve a lot of my previous codes and kept check engine off until I was driving up a hill and the whole truck engine just shut off and I lost what I believe was fuel supply. The M and S started blinking and she would just crank and crank with nothing. Restarted rough on the incline, but I had it towed to be safe. M and S have stayed off after the first clearing of codes and only the ones above came back.

Our overall assesment (the shop and I) is due to fuel pressure codes and the obvious crank with no fire is that she is dry, the fuel pump is going and pretty much gone. 6 and 8 is the farthest away from the fuel pressure and would fail first with a weak pump under heavy load causing misfires. Since my ignition system has all been replaced we really have it pegged to the pump. When we did get it to fire there was no build up of fuel smell, or excess exhaust, so Im assuming it still is not crank position sensor.

At the rover dealership where I had it serviced before trip we had p1300, p0300, p0307, p0306, p0305. Which all were cleared from the input of the new coilpack for 1400 miles. However the check engine flickered back on immedately after the repair and went out by itself. Im assuming this was a sign of the fuel pump starting to die.

Are we pretty much right? They want a grand to do the repair and 3-4 days due to no rover parts supply anywhere around.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
You have a failing crank sensor which is very common and any good Rover mechanic should know that.
As for your misfires, what color are your plug wires, what octane gas are you running and when was it last tuned along with new 8 mm silicone plug wires?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Your truck has 157K miles on it. Has the crankshaft position sensor (CKPS) ever been replaced?

When we did get it to fire there was no build up of fuel smell, or excess exhaust, so I'm assuming it still is not crank position sensor.
I understand the logic of your statement, but here is its fallacy. A failed CKPS cuts off spark AND fuel supply. So of course "... there was no build up of fuel ..."

6 and 8 is the farthest away from the fuel pressure and would fail first with a weak pump under heavy load causing misfires.
Huh? I never took Fluid Dynamics in college but I'm pretty sure one of the principles of hydraulic systems (including a closed fuel system) is that pressures are equal everywhere in the system.

Fuel pumps rarely fail on DIIs; CKP sensors fail every day. Unless your CKPS was replaced within the last five years don't fight it; replace the CKPS. Then attack your misfires on 6 and 8.

·
Registered
13 Posts
From experience I am pretty certain that Disco Mike and RedRover are on point here - it is your crank sensor. Had a similar thing happen (on the 4th floor of a low-ceilinged parking garage) a few years ago. Get it replaced and then check the rest!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Alright guys I will go with you guys and ask for the CKPS to be done first. Im surprised you guys are so certain and pleased since its cheaper to do. I ordered via oreillys, 60 bucks here tomorrow afternoon. I ordered the one with the long wire attached since oreillys didnt know and all the disco II diagrams Ive seen have the wire. Just verify for me if you could.

DiscoMike, Im not sure this thing has ever been formally tuned, I bought it from a girl who's dad let her neglect it and drive with misfires. Im not sure it ever has had the CKPS sensor done, ever. Since the coil its been with me and 91+ octane. Plug wire color? Just black ones the guy picked up from a parts store, truck isnt with me right now so I couldn't tell you the brand. The tech at the rover shop just told me what they bought is average stuff but new. Btw Im stranded in Cheyenne if you wanna come up haha

RedRover, I didnt know it cut off fuel at all and apparently neither did this service advisor at this shop. They dont work on Rovers, and honestly they didnt want to touch the Rover because they are too busy but it would not restart in their service center lol. I just need them now to swap the sensor since it seems like they are guessing and dont care...

Ive been reading a ton of the Disco stuff you guys write on several forums, so I appreciate the fast response. You guys make me far less worried about disco ownership and I hope to contribute.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
You might want to read my major service sticky posted at the top of this section, dealing with the front drive shaft before it fails if it has not been rebuilt or replaced.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You might want to read my major service sticky posted at the top of this section, dealing with the front drive shaft before it fails if it has not been rebuilt or replaced.
That is my top priority as soon as I get home actually, this is my first trip with the rover and Im just trying to get it home to a place where I can finally work on it. Only owned her 2 weeks, need her to run 17 hrs more and that repair will be happening. Seen too many with the failure up for parts while looking for a disco.

·
Registered
94 Posts
mine too

I have a similer problem but with the only code being p1590 should I start with the sensor also? thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How similar, describe.

I would, its simple, most of the time its worn to heck, its a cheap easy fix with good results. If you dont need it NOW you WILL later so its a safe repair.

For me it was exactly the issue. Shop was very shamed when I demanded the repair and it worked. Tried to sell me cars over a 60 dollar sensor. Embarassing for them.

·
Registered
94 Posts
died saturday would not restart for about 10 minutes, restarted and got it home now will not start no fire. where is the best value for a sensor?

thanks

·
Registered
21 Posts
Crank sensor problem is "typically" not indicated by a cold start but by a failed hot/warm start (unless it has failed completely) you would have had a few failed starts prior...to complete failure. I have never heard of this type of failure "shutting down" the fuel supply?.. It maybe a safe replacement, but not always an absolute repair and may not fix your current issue. If you have the opportunity, remove it, let it cool down or give it a shot with canned air, put it back in. If it starts Viola, there is your problem. Rarely will it be a CkpS and start hot.

Get under your rover, inspect the propshaft. If it appears like it hasn't been serviced you may have and issue. While you are there, lube it good. To know for sure the possible severity of a possible problem, grab it, shake it, try to move it. If there is any play,,,noise or lack of lube, you may have issues, mileage is not an indicator of a current propshaft issue. It may become one..eventually but you decide when it's a good idea to drop $400 on a possible non-issue. Yes, one part of the shaft may not have ever received any lube, and yes, that would be a potential problem.

Miss-fires must start with replacement of wires and plugs, in particular if the wires are black (cheap short term solution) or grey (factory and need replacing, just because). There are other reasons for miss-fires but the odds are in favor of crappy wires that lead to fouled plugs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
died saturday would not restart for about 10 minutes, restarted and got it home now will not start no fire. where is the best value for a sensor?

thanks
I got the sensor for 60 at oreillys since I needed it asap and got it next day, however I think you can snag it for around 40 some places. Your issue sounds identical to mine in just about every way so far.

Brit 4x4, as indicated by others in the thread I would concur with them, a no crank signal from the sensor will not release fuel to injectors because it really doesnt know where the crank is for fuel dispersement. Sensor kicks on and off randomly. I got my car cranking but it felt like zero fuel, no excess burnoff when I got it finally started after god knows how many tries. Feels like a dry system, even tapping the pedal.

All i know is my sensor was the issue, your mileage may vary

·
Registered
21 Posts
Throw in a can of BG fuel treatment and I think you'll see an improvement. Injectors etc. may need some cleaning.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
do you have a part # for that oreilly sensor?
Part # 19-0296, its bosch btw so its a direct replacement

I have a '99 and it is the CKPS with the cord attached. Oreillys system has a link to another CKPS for the disco 2 without a cord. Used electric grease since it is in an area prone to moisture and splash even with the heatshield and dust cover. This one also comes with a spacer (silver thing) and I dont think my shop needed it at all, might be for euro models?

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/IDI0/190296/02807.oap?year=1999&make=Land%2BRover&model=Discovery&vi=1377806&ck=Search_crankshaft+position%21s%21angle+sensor_1377806_-1&keyword=crankshaft+position%21s%21angle+sensor

1 - 15 of 15 Posts