Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to get some people's opinions on this. I am interested in a pre owned Land Rover. Due to budgeting issues I am trying to figure out whether I should go with a 2001 Discovery or a 1999 Range Rover. I understand the mileage on the RR would have to be higher. I like both vehicles and both are plenty luxurious for me. I am interested in their durability, reliability and which offers me the more bang for my buck(taking into consideration the age and mileage). I hunt very often, but don't do any serious off roading besides the bad terrain our hunting land offers. I am hoping someone can help me out. Any advice is greatly appreciated, I am currently a Tahoe driver but want to move to a Land Rover.

·
Registered
93 LWB KITTED 95 LWB Chop Top 03 D2
213 Posts
I say get a disco...

You can get a loaded Disco for cheap these days.. Its more important to get one with lower miles than it is to get a newer year. There is not much difference between a 99 and an 01.. look for one with 50 or 60k and you are looking at 16-18 grand. They have air bag suspension that is prone to failure. One with a coil spring conversion is worth looking into. Some have ACE active cornering enhancement which is nice but then again its something to go wrong too! Supposedly it keeps the car from getting too tippy. I test drove it once and it was a tighter cornering car, BUT i am sure its maintenance waiting to happen! Models with the rear AC in the back take up valuable space in the rear and are only needed if you have an SE7 with a load of kids in the back. I found the interior of my 96 4.6 RR to be cheaply made and flimsy.. plus as soon as i sold it the next owner put in a bunch of money into the suspension bags.. The engines tend to last forever and the ZF trannys are bullet proof provided that they have had regular maintenance. I don't know about you but i like the MkII discos more than the MKII RR's, but the new Rover beats them all.. and I am not all that crazy about the new LR3' mostly because of the price tag.. sheesh its a couple grand less than my fully loaded Denali XL and its twice the street suv, not just in size but engine power and handling.

my 2 cents

·
Registered
33 Posts
Whichever you choose, try to buy from a dealer and get an extended warranty. It was worth it for me. I think you'll have your decision made for you when you drive both rigs- the P38A and Discovery are quite different.
Good luck!
Cheers,
Paul.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts