Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Land Rover Discovery LE 50th anniversary 4.0 V8
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 98 disco with the v8 has 137k miles and runs like a dream never has over heated on me but I’ve only had it for this winter but I took it wheeling this weekend and on the up hill it started to overheat a tick over middle and no cooling fans came on even when it was shut off but when I turned on the ac they kicked on so that means the fuses and relays are working. I do know they turn on from the ecu but mine arnt for some reason, this has also happened when towing up hill if any one knows any trouble shoots please let me know it whould be gratefully appreciated.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
also is it bad to have the compressor running all the time because on mine I've been just using the compressor to have the fans going and it seems to be working but I still would like to fix the problem even if I can have it running all the time

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks for the tip I did do a coolant flush and stuck a hose in both ends to clean it. Is it possible to be a water pump or thermostat problem
yes it could be a problem with those things..water pump or thermostat.. and the fan clutch! but. this is my radiator from my 94 Range Rover. I flushed mine multiple times too. this is what it looked like on the inside. My radiator had no signs of being bad or old or anything.... These are 4 core radiators. my new one is a re-cored as a 3 core but the cores are a lot larger called ribbon core 5/8 .. it is 30 percent more efficient than the stock radiator and is just the best upgrade you can do.. I had mine done in Santa maria California at "industrial radiator" its worth the shipping and the price...this guy is the best radiator guy IMO. These are very old Radiators made of copper, the engine is aluminum. this is where the aluminum deposits itself in the radiator. You will blow a head gasket soon. Most head gaskets fail now due to the age of these vehicles and the radiators that are hiding severe clogging.. hope this helps

Wood Wall Font Gas Rectangle

·
Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
561 Posts
If I were you I’d re do the whole cooling system. It will save you lots of pain down the road when it blows a head gasket/blows a hose/ drops a sleeve/etc. 180 thermostat, all new hoses, new expansion tank and cap, new radiator, and new water pump. Yea it’ll hurt the wallet initially but you’ll extend the life of everything else and it’ll be worth it for longevity and piece of mind.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes it could be a problem with those things..water pump or thermostat.. and the fan clutch! but. this is my radiator from my 94 Range Rover. I flushed mine multiple times too. this is what it looked like on the inside. My radiator had no signs of being bad or old or anything.... These are 4 core radiators. my new one is a re-cored as a 3 core but the cores are a lot larger called ribbon core 5/8 .. it is 30 percent more efficient than the stock radiator and is just the best upgrade you can do.. I had mine done in Santa maria California at "industrial radiator" its worth the shipping and the price...this guy is the best radiator guy IMO. These are very old Radiators made of copper, the engine is aluminum. this is where the aluminum deposits itself in the radiator. You will blow a head gasket soon. Most head gaskets fail now due to the age of these vehicles and the radiators that are hiding severe clogging.. hope this helps

View attachment 94245
yikes that things messed I will pull mine and if it looks like or close to this I will look into that new one you speck of for now I think I will change the water pump and thermostat. I've never totally overheated only slightly above the middle and for 130k I think the head gaskets will be good till at least 200k my dad's 97 disco currently has 221k on the og head gasket and the only thing that broke on it was the transmission but if I do the radiator I'm gonna do a top end rebuild as well.

·
Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
561 Posts
yikes that things messed I will pull mine and if it looks like or close to this I will look into that new one you speck of for now I think I will change the water pump and thermostat. I've never totally overheated only slightly above the middle and for 130k I think the head gaskets will be good till at least 200k my dad's 97 disco currently has 221k on the og head gasket and the only thing that broke on it was the transmission but if I do the radiator I'm gonna do a top end rebuild as well.
The factory temp gauge doesn't actually do anything. It sits in the middle from 160 until some outrageously high temperature and then shoots straight for the red zone. If you want to actually monitor temps, get an UltraGauge or something similar to monitor temps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If I were you I’d re do the whole cooling system. It will save you lots of pain down the road when it blows a head gasket/blows a hose/ drops a sleeve/etc. 180 thermostat, all new hoses, new expansion tank and cap, new radiator, and new water pump. Yea it’ll hurt the wallet initially but you’ll extend the life of everything else and it’ll be worth it for longevity and piece of mind.
Ok so I’ve got a new fan clutch and gates 188 thermostat coming in the mail and if it dosent fix the problem im going to pull the radiator and buy a new one but water pump looks replaced

·
Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
561 Posts
Ok so I’ve got a new fan clutch and gates 188 thermostat coming in the mail and if it dosent fix the problem im going to pull the radiator and buy a new one but water pump looks replaced
188 is not 180 (assuming that's not a typo) - it's basically the same as what you have already. Get a true 180 (I have a Bearmach unit and it works great - generally, you want a unit with a black plastic casing, not white, as (again, generally, not always) a black housing is a 180 and a white housing is a 190 (what came in them from the factory)). Fan clutch should help though if yours is shot. Is your old one shot though? Did you test it with a rolled newspaper? No use spending tons of money on things that aren't the problem because you didn't test them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
188 is not 180 (assuming that's not a typo) - it's basically the same as what you have already. Get a true 180 (I have a Bearmach unit and it works great - generally, you want a unit with a black plastic casing, not white, as (again, generally, not always) a black housing is a 180 and a white housing is a 190 (what came in them from the factory)). Fan clutch should help though if yours is shot. Is your old one shot though? Did you test it with a rolled newspaper? No use spending tons of money on things that aren't the problem because you didn't test them.
Sorry it was a gates 180 and it came in today and with this summer heat didn’t seem to fix the problem still no fans and the fan clutch came off of my dads 97 and it never over heated even on the hottest days towing are boat but I’m still going to replace it as it has 220k miles on it

1 - 11 of 11 Posts