Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Being of the worrying nature where my pride-and-joy is concerned, I'd like a check on this.

How much smoke should a 2.25 diesel produce when in good condition and everything set up right?

When you start from cold (which it does after just a few turns after 10 seconds pre-heating) you get a puff of blue smoke, followed by a puff of black, neither of which are what I'd call excessive. You get a haze of blue on acceleration as the engine warms up. When warm, if you blip the throttle from idle, a hazy black cloud puffs out the exhaust- not the solid black smokescreen you get from really knackered diesels. I know that an old indirect injection diesel will smoke a bit on acceleration, but how much. Are we talking small puff, or thin cloud? (like what I'm getting).

On the road, I adjusted the wing mirror to point at the exhaust. There's nothing when holding a steady speed. As you accelerate, as the engine takes up the load when you change gear, you get a faint haze of black that lasts about 5 seconds until the revs build up.

I know not to expect: a) smoke-free engines (it is a 1956 design, after all)
b) serious problem (believe me, I've seen the engine when it's knackered and it was about 100x worse than it is now)

I just want a check in case something needed adusting post-rebuild/run in, such as tappet clearances.

Any thoughts welcome, as I no longer know anyone with a diesel Series Landy to compare it to.

Jack (needlessly worrying SIII owner)

· Premium Member
3,225 Posts
All in all, it sounds like you engine is in good shape. The blue smoke on startup is engine oil that drips down the valve stems, so your guides are probably worn somewhat. Ordinarily, a warmed up diesel shouldn't smake at all at cruise, but a tiny bit, as your describing on acceleration may be due to dirty or slightly worn injectors. Do you ever run a bottle of injector cleaner through it? There is a specific one made for diesels, and I have found it to be a valuable detail, and use it on all my John Deere diesels.
Doesn't sound like impending doom, go have a pint and relax, in fact, have several, and one then three or four for me too. I'll have a Wards, Stones, Worthington, I'm not particular.

· Series Moderator
506 Posts
jozg44 said:
Hello all,

Being of the worrying nature where my pride-and-joy is concerned, I'd like a check on this.

How much smoke should a 2.25 diesel produce when in good condition and everything set up right?

When you start from cold (which it does after just a few turns after 10 seconds pre-heating) you get a puff of blue smoke, followed by a puff of black, neither of which are what I'd call excessive. You get a haze of blue on acceleration as the engine warms up. When warm, if you blip the throttle from idle, a hazy black cloud puffs out the exhaust- not the solid black smokescreen you get from really knackered diesels. I know that an old indirect injection diesel will smoke a bit on acceleration, but how much. Are we talking small puff, or thin cloud? (like what I'm getting).

On the road, I adjusted the wing mirror to point at the exhaust. There's nothing when holding a steady speed. As you accelerate, as the engine takes up the load when you change gear, you get a faint haze of black that lasts about 5 seconds until the revs build up.

I know not to expect: a) smoke-free engines (it is a 1956 design, after all)
b) serious problem (believe me, I've seen the engine when it's knackered and it was about 100x worse than it is now)

I just want a check in case something needed adusting post-rebuild/run in, such as tappet clearances.

Any thoughts welcome, as I no longer know anyone with a diesel Series Landy to compare it to.

Jack (needlessly worrying SIII owner)
Sounds to be in good order no problems there

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.