Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi people, Please help!!

So my D2 2002 TD5, has started doing this weird thing where if I try to turn it over when the dash lights have gone out all power is lost and it cranks once and then stops even though the key is still in the start up(crank) position.
I realised that if I turn the ignition on and wait this time for the fuel pump to stop pumping then turn it over the car will start as normal (crank twice then start) and run fine.
But every time I always have to wait for the fuel pump to stop pumping no matter what!

I also noticed if I try after the lights go out and it cuts all power and then I try again without turning the engine off, I get two faults, one in the engine and one in the gearbox, the faults are "(23,4) unable to detect remote CAN" in the engine and the "p1843 CAN timeout monitoring" in the gearbox and the M and S light on the dash will be flashing.

Here what ive tried so far;
• I checked the fuel relay by swapping it out for another in the engine fuse box and same issue. Also did the same to the starter relay with no change!
• The battery voltage is great at 12.7 with car off, and 14 when car is running! During the one crank and power cut the voltage still doesn't drop below 10!
• I have check earth points from engine to body.
• I have checked the fuses related to fuel or starting within both compartments and all are fine.

I really need some help on what to check for as this issue is manageable as I know what I need to do to start it but frustrating and worrying it maybe doing more damage then good!.

Attached are videos I have taken off the issue and what the codes are on the nanocom.

Thankyou for reading!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,539 Posts
I'd replace the engine bay fusebox to rule it out cos it's suspect

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply sierrafery!
This issue is very weird don't you think as I cannot find any case like this anywhere!

I will remove the fusebox and check connections Into it...

Is a genuine fusebox the best route to go?

Many thanks
Lewis

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi guys,

So a update to the solution,
I checked the fusebox as Sierra suggested and as I live in Australia it had no rust and no broken connections.

After several fault finding processes carried out by myself, I decided a dedicated landrover mechanic would be best!.
I went to, two different garages, the first said the starter could be faulty, but due to the starter being purchased 10 months prior to this fault and being a denso original, I was skeptical.

The second place I went too took a 5 minute look at the car and straight away diagnosed it as the ignition switch on the rear of the barrel.
I bought a Discovery 1 ignition switch as this is all they had in stock and the difference is the plugs that go into the in-cabin fuse box. With some quality wore joiners, I snipped the plugs off the original and attached to the new switch, and with success, the car started first time no issues with waiting for the full pump to turn off... or the electrics cutting out!!! 😍👌

Hope this helps if anyone experiences the same issue as me, as I was totally stumped and there isn't much info on this issue.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts