Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

My wife has a 2008 LR2 and we have owned this vehicle for over a year and while I figured a lot out about this vehicle on my own, there are a few issues that I would like to get some advice on.

1. Not too often, I go to start the car and it tries to start, but wont kick over. I try a few times, and it will finally start.

2. At random and at no specific time, the car will start and it runs really rough almost as though it is going to stall. I then turn it off, wait a few seconds, and then start it again and it is fine.

3. Lately, on the highway, there is an annoying, loud hum from the rear of the car. It is enough to be annoying and I don't remember this happening before and neither does my wife. I do think the tires are in need of replacement, but could this be the wheel bearings, or is it the rear end issue that I have read about on here?

4. Lastly, not a problem with the car, but I am moving from Arizona to Pennsylvania in the next month and need to tow a trailer. 3,500lbs is the tow rating but can you push this number beyond its max or would a regular 6x12 trailer full, and the vehicle full be the max anyone recommends?

I hope some can help me out with my questions for it is quite difficult to find answers on these cars since they are not that common. Thanks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
1: Sounds like a warm engine restart issue. I had this problem if the engine was warm. LR dealer reset computer. cost was like $300.

2: possible misfire???? I replaced plugs to E3 and found them to be garbage. Went back to stock brand. No issues.

3: Sounds like wheel bearings to me.

4: I would not recommend this trek with that much weight. I would just rent a uhaul and trailer the LR2

These are just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1: Sounds like a warm engine restart issue. I had this problem if the engine was warm. LR dealer reset computer. cost was like $300.

2: possible misfire???? I replaced plugs to E3 and found them to be garbage. Went back to stock brand. No issues.

3: Sounds like wheel bearings to me.

4: I would not recommend this trek with that much weight. I would just rent a uhaul and trailer the LR2

These are just my 2 cents.
Cool thanks for the reply. I figured the starting issue was the computer problem that they can fix either that or a bad fuel filter.

And it does sound like wheel bearings to me as well. I would think that if it were the rear end, I would hear a worse sound at all speeds.

Thanks for your reply.

·
Returning Rover
123 Posts
The starting may be a fuel pump going. The hum may be the bearing in the rear end going.

·
Returning Rover
123 Posts
Notorious but a smaller fix than replacing the whole rear end. I think they go in and replace a pinion bearing. My first 2 LR2's both had the rearends replaced. I have heard they don't do that anymore. Let us know.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Wouldn't recommend the trailer and weight. LR2 max is 3500 "braked" weight (trailer with it's own brakes) and 1700 "unbraked" (no brakes on trailer). I haul a 6x12 single 4" drop axle enclosed trailer with motorcycle and it doesn't exceed 1700. I have the ability to add brakes, but haven't yet since I'm under the unbraked weight. My MPG with the trailer drops to 15 mpg or lower when getting into the hills in VA and WV. So you probably wouldn't use much more gas with a small Uhaul and trailer for the LR2.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wouldn't recommend the trailer and weight. LR2 max is 3500 "braked" weight (trailer with it's own brakes) and 1700 "unbraked" (no brakes on trailer). I haul a 6x12 single 4" drop axle enclosed trailer with motorcycle and it doesn't exceed 1700. I have the ability to add brakes, but haven't yet since I'm under the unbraked weight. My MPG with the trailer drops to 15 mpg or lower when getting into the hills in VA and WV. So you probably wouldn't use much more gas with a small Uhaul and trailer for the LR2.

Yeah the trailer I want to get for the move is a 5x8 un braked trailer. I don't want to load it with more than the weight of a motorcycle (400-500lbs) so worse case, all together the weight would be maybe 1700-1800. Being that I am moving from Arizona to PA, I will be hitting some of those hills you speak of. What do you recommend for the trip? Stay under a certain MPH? Do you use the manual shift mode for anything? How does the LR2 react to the trailer overall?

·
Registered
13 Posts
A 5x8 loaded should be no problem for the LR2. My thought is with a 1700/3500 lbs tow capacity, you can still shove four 500 lbs guys into the car adding another 1500-2000 lbs...

Once you hit the mountains you may have to use command shift, if it's equipped, to regulate shift points or to hold it in a lower gear on long hills or to get it to a higher gear if it's holding it low too long on a long gradual uphill rise.

Speed wasn't a problem for me...the 4" drop axle made the trailer very stable. I was able to do 70-75 on flat runs with no problem. Your biggest problem will be wind gusts pushing you around. With the 2,000+ miles you are doing you will figure out most of the quirks in the first couple hundred miles. It is very tiring though....the LR2's short wheelbase makes any input so the steering wheel very noticeable with a trailer. So it doesn't take much to get the trailer wagging. You'll be hyper alert and this can be tiring. Again, you'll know all you need to know about how the trailer's hauling characteristics in the first couple hundred miles. My wife did 1400+ miles from Maine to Florida just fine while I followed in a Uhaul.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A 5x8 loaded should be no problem for the LR2. My thought is with a 1700/3500 lbs tow capacity, you can still shove four 500 lbs guys into the car adding another 1500-2000 lbs...

Once you hit the mountains you may have to use command shift, if it's equipped, to regulate shift points or to hold it in a lower gear on long hills or to get it to a higher gear if it's holding it low too long on a long gradual uphill rise.

Speed wasn't a problem for me...the 4" drop axle made the trailer very stable. I was able to do 70-75 on flat runs with no problem. Your biggest problem will be wind gusts pushing you around. With the 2,000+ miles you are doing you will figure out most of the quirks in the first couple hundred miles. It is very tiring though....the LR2's short wheelbase makes any input so the steering wheel very noticeable with a trailer. So it doesn't take much to get the trailer wagging. You'll be hyper alert and this can be tiring. Again, you'll know all you need to know about how the trailer's hauling characteristics in the first couple hundred miles. My wife did 1400+ miles from Maine to Florida just fine while I followed in a Uhaul.
Awesome. Thank you for the great information. I just need to get all of these issues fixed before we pull out of AZ so that it can make the trip without an issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Follow up

1. Not too often, I go to start the car and it tries to start, but wont kick over. I try a few times, and it will finally start. <-- I'm hving the same issue with my 2008. It's not consistent but it does happen a few times a month. Would be interested in finding the solution. No error is given so hard to trouble shoot.

3. Lately, on the highway, there is an annoying, loud hum from the rear of the car. It is enough to be annoying and I don't remember this happening before and neither does my wife. I do think the tires are in need of replacement, but could this be the wheel bearings, or is it the rear end issue that I have read about on here? <-- I had a bearing go out and it sound similar to this.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
1. Not too often, I go to start the car and it tries to start, but wont kick over. I try a few times, and it will finally start. <-- I'm hving the same issue with my 2008. It's not consistent but it does happen a few times a month. Would be interested in finding the solution. No error is given so hard to trouble shoot.

3. Lately, on the highway, there is an annoying, loud hum from the rear of the car. It is enough to be annoying and I don't remember this happening before and neither does my wife. I do think the tires are in need of replacement, but could this be the wheel bearings, or is it the rear end issue that I have read about on here? <-- I had a bearing go out and it sound similar to this.

I just made the appointment for Sept 6th to have the car looked at and repaired. I hope the sound is just a bearing issue for that will eliminate a big repair bill. I will update the thread with the outcome of everything.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there...had the same problem with my 2008 LR2... sure its not the wheel bearing...take replace the wheel where there sound comes from with the spare...if the sound is gone...its your tyres that needs rotating with every service...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi there...had the same problem with my 2008 LR2... sure its not the wheel bearing...take replace the wheel where there sound comes from with the spare...if the sound is gone...its your tyres that needs rotating with every service...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
The whole rear end area is where the noise is coming from. And it keeps getting louder. I hope all it is are the tires. We will see.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I imagine this is all taken care of and you have your answer. I'd guess it's the tires, simply because I had the same issue. The tires were worn and it kept getting louder. The right rear had a slow leak develop. When we had it up on the rack, we could see it was not only worn, but cupped. We plugged the leak and got new tires two weeks later. During those two weeks, it just kept getting louder. New tires and VOILA!, no noise- quiet as can be. Now, if I can just get my window up, it will be quiet again!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Also, as to the trailer question. Our son lived in Alaska and had a 16' braked trailer that I bought him when he moved up 3 years ago. He died earlier this year. We went up in May to bring his vehicles home and thought he had a 2" receiver. When we got there, we found out it was only 1". I talked to several trailer people and they said they wouldn't try it. It was and emergent situation and would have taken several days to get a 2" hitch up there, so we went with plans b and c to get it home. If I'd known then what I know now, I would have spot welded the hitch to the receiver, put a brake controller in the LR2, hooked on and driven home. The trailer with his possessions that we were bringing home would have weighed MAYBE 2500 pounds, so the weight didn't worry me. The biggest issue is that the tongue on the hitch was fairly narrow and his oversized ball had an oversized stud. I should have drilled the narrow tongue out to fit the stud and welded some 3/8 strap to both sides of the tongue with a good fillet. Hindsight, eh?

·
disco biscuit
1,061 Posts
I'm not sure if there is really a question here. If you wanna do it...right on. An LR2, if you're not talking about a d2, is a ford escape. I'm sorry if this sounds awkward..point I'm trying to make..compare it to that vehicle. It don't compare to a land rover, or even a range rover. I would pull it...but I wouldn't do what I do....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts