Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I have just joined the forum, and glad to be here :wave: ..I just purchased a 1999 Discovery II a few months ago, and have now discovered a few problems that someone might be able to help me with. First of all, I have some vibration in my steering wheel while driving between 48-55mph. Second, I took a trip to the beach today, running the AC at maximum the whole way(about 4 hours round trip), and noticed that my floorboard was pretty wet when I arrived back home. No, my feet were not wet when I got back into the vehicle..I noticed small drips of water coming out of the center console closer to the dashboard. If someone has experienced these same problems, I would appreciate any advice/opinions/help, please :dunno: Thanks!

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Welcome aboard!
The vibration you are experiencing could be caused by a number of things. Your steering damper may need replacing though I doubt this is were the problem is, or, the vibration could be coming from the front axle area. The harmonic damper rubber mounting may need to be replaced. This has in the past been a problem. The new part has had the rubber composition optimised to help prevent vibration.

Now to the water leak.
The leak, is it coolant or just plain water?
If it's coolant (green coloured), its from the heater core. If its plain water it could be coming from the Air conditioner because the drain pipes are blocked.
There are some AC drain tubes under the transmission tunnel. They get clogged and the water back fills.

If you get underneath the truck check on each side of the transmission tunnel. You should be able to find the drain tubes. Remove the tip of the tub and the water backed up should drain out. If no water comes out, the tubs may be blocked. If you gently blow some compressed air into them it should do the trick.
Good luck and lets know how you go.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!

:cool: I will talk to my mechanic this week sometime so I can have these problems fixed, hopefully! I just had AC service done on my Rover not too long ago; should they not have caught the problem then??

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
Disco seems to be right on the money. As far as the drain tubes go...no, that is usually not something they look at when they service your AC. It is real easy, like Disco descibed, so save yourself some money and do it yourself. Just be careful because the water will probably stink!

Also, even if you are not mechanically inclined, learn to do as much stuff as possible. People on this forum can talk you through just about anything. You will save yourself a lot of money over the years.

Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
444 Posts
The water leak seems to be a common problem, I had this problem about a year ago and it turned out that the AC line was leaking into the truck instead of going out and under. Easy fix I think it took them a total of 25 mins to fix that...

Where in NC are you located?

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
JC, I believe they are. I have the same problem right now but did not have a chance to get to it this past weekend. Priorities you know..blowing up stuff with my kids, passing on family traditions. The great thing about kids is that you have to grow up when you have them but you don't have to mature! I've got all boys so I still get to do silly adreneline seeking stuff! Man, being a dad is awesome!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.