Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Administrator
16,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A"MUST Read For Anyone Who is About to Repair Head Gaskets or a Valve Train Noise

Discobob posted this link this morning and it is a must read for anyone looking to open up their engine for a head gasket job, valve train noise repair and all sort of other facts.
Take the time to read this, RPi Engineering - V8 Engines

·
Wounded Knee Moderator
1,904 Posts
A little late to the party there DB/DM. That's been posted for at least two years now.

·
Registered
5,683 Posts
all sort of other facts.
I am not sure they are "facts". These articles are written by people attempting to sell their products and services. A great number of their write-ups are just attempting to scare you are exaggerate things significantly.

·
Administrator
16,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For all the people that are still asking about valve train noise, it still makes a good read.

·
Registered
378 Posts
hey, why dont we just forget that maybe disco mike was adding content, as maybe not everyone has read that article, you know , like helping out... good read mike, i havent read that article yet...

·
Wounded Knee Moderator
1,904 Posts
Do you know how to use "Google"? Try typing in "Rover". I guess I'm in the minority. Ian's comment stands with me because they are a vendor wanting to sell you their product, their view of the world. So read with a little skepticism.

·
Registered
378 Posts
typing "Rover" in google doesnt bring up hardly anything involving Land Rovers...

three hundred and ten words / examples shown. might wanna put the TWO WORDS, land rover in google

·
Wounded Knee Moderator
1,904 Posts
Is there a point somewhere in your personal diary?

Discobob has 25 posts, joined in April of 2010. He found the RPI site so what's your excuse? 87,200,000 hits and you found nothing....try the second page. Tough clicking a left mouse button.

Critical? Sure, throw some shims under your 4.0L pillars. One poster didn't even know how to drain his power steering reservoir so I'm sure these articles will incite more dumb questions than you do not capitalize your sentences.

Multimedia major, they must not include writing or is it your just too lazy? It doesn't bode well for your image my friend.

·
Wounded Knee Moderator
1,904 Posts
I use my cellphone too, wouldn't you know!

You typed three hundred and ten words, two words capitalized, zero excuses.

Priceless.

You are not fit for duty soldier.

·
Registered
32 Posts
FWIW I read the article; very little of it seems like a sales pitch. Sure there's a link or two to buy parts and or services but overall I found it very informative, and would likely return to it if I was rebuilding.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Wow!

Try to share information and this is what He gets! This does not impress Me as a newcomer!!! Does it matter how it is typed, really? Can you not read it still? I thought the goal of a forum was to share information on the vehicles We have come to love! Does it matter if the company is trying to sell their wares, they are still trying to help by sharing the info, if you don't need parts you don't have to buy them, wow what a concept!!!! It would be nice if people could just say "Thank you DiscoMike for trying to help with info." :clap:

·
Like's ROVER ride's ,agitating,pimping poodle's ,t
306 Posts
My 2000 discovery started ticking tapping clincking at 90,000 now i have 156,000 miles. The sound is not better or worse it comes & go,s.

My 94 3.9 has 190000 and all i hear purrrrrr!!

I flushed, every oil under the sun, can,s of add.

Paid 6000.00 fror the disco 11. O just one other thing it never makes a sound once it shifts into od.

What is ticking how much more time & $ should we spend BOB ?

Attachments

·
Registered
253 Posts

·
1995 Discovery
4 Posts
Head Gasket blown

Thanks Mike!!

My Disco just blew one of the headgaskets so this is great info. I have the shop manual and the CD for it, just haven't had a good chance to go through it yet. My greatest fear right now is if any of the liners have slipped. If any have or there is any damage I am condsidering a 97-98 RR HSE 4.6 transplant. I'm going to search through the forums for any info on this conversion and even more info on blown head gasket issue.
Thanks again for the link. :)

·
Registered
378 Posts
Winter blues... :beer:

I re-referred to the article, minus the litigations of a few months back :) , converted to PDF , beings the iPad/iPod Touch/iPhone can function as a realtime bluetooth OBDII reader/PDF reader , video/images/sound/web, viewer, its become a shop tool , laptops were never suited well , but being able to view the Rave manual, instantly look at realtime obd displays,clear codes , then switch back to a video of a valley pan gasket replacement, great tool for the garage, very very tough for garage abuse...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Disco Mike knows all, Questions

:confusedFirst of all I will read your post info on valve train.

Hi Folks,

I have a 1997 Disco SD with a GEMS motor with 158,xxx miles on it. Same ol' comments, I am getting the tapping in the morning when cold then it goes away when warm or if the RPM's are increased. But the tapping comes back indicitave of bad oil pressure. Performance obviously is crap and feels like the lifters or something has collapsed in the valve train. Truck has a new fuel pump, injectors, fuel rail clean, battery, alternator, computer, plugs, wires, coil banks, air filter, MAF etc, etc.

I am getting ready to tear it down and had a couple/few+ questions.

1. Pretty sure the piston sleeves are not slipping How do you test? (Visual?) Carbon pattern should be uniform at the TDC for each piston.

2. If the oil sump pickup is loose, which may cause bad oil pressure, Is there a better one to buy other than stock? along with fasteners etc.

3. Camshaft, If worn, where can I get a good perfomance Cam with better lift and duration?

4. Lifters, I can get a set set of replacements from my local junk auto parts store but wondered if anyone has tried a roller setup in these motors?

5. Rockers, do they fall out of tollerance normally from 150K wear? get sloppy etc.

6. Engine sludge in passageways, does it make sense to do some kind of seafoam exercise before tearing it down? I am planning on dropping the pan and will have it cleaned sandblasted and painted before install.

7. Headbolts and gasket kits, ARP? or what is the best "Quality" set of replacements for not only the "foo foo" gaskets but the best metallic head gaskets.

8. And last, Heads? who does the best job for a rebuild? I have a local guy that says he knows what is what... but I am looking for someone that has been around the block and has done a three angle valve job with quality stems and valves if needed, in addition to seals and all the other goodies.

I am planning on keeping my rig long term and was curious, if given the money based on my situation would be ideal, in your opinions. I have built many GM motors and wondered what was/is compatible. It seems to me that the rover power plant is based off the buick 231 only made lighter in aluminum form and wondered what fits?

Sorry for the book report but I am planning on dropping a fair amount of time and money into this thing and want to get it right!

Scott

1 - 20 of 24 Posts