Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all! I am in the process of trying to blow out the drain lines on my front and rear sunroof, but I want to blow them out from the exit points as I do not want to mess with removing the hoses from the plastic blocks and risk breaking them. I know that the plastic blocks are not having an issue as they have been properly sealed to the tray. I suspect the drains are just not draining fast enough. On a related note, I think the elbow on the driver side may be broken as well as my carpet is getting wet, but for the life of me I can't seem to see it. I removed the lower kick panel on the driver side but I still can't see it. I searched some other threads but could not find any specifics on this information. Any help or pics you guys could provide would be great and much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

· Registered
106 Posts
Hello to all! I am in the process of trying to blow out the drain lines on my front and rear sunroof, but I want to blow them out from the exit points as I do not want to mess with removing the hoses from the plastic blocks and risk breaking them. I know that the plastic blocks are not having an issue as they have been properly sealed to the tray. I suspect the drains are just not draining fast enough. On a related note, I think the elbow on the driver side may be broken as well as my carpet is getting wet, but for the life of me I can't seem to see it. I removed the lower kick panel on the driver side but I still can't see it. I searched some other threads but could not find any specifics on this information. Any help or pics you guys could provide would be great and much appreciated! Thanks in advance!
It may not be the same, but on my 2004 I had to drill holes at the bottom of sill where water had been collecting. That definitely fixed my issue of wet carpets. You may be able to find the rubber nipples, but they are not low enough to completely remove the collected water.

Godspeed.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response. Well I found that the exit holes underneath on the frame rails were a little stopped up. I cleared and blew out the drain lines and exit points underneath with compressed air and it seems to be draining correctly. I performed a water test yesterday and verified that there were no leaks anywhere around the sunroof tray or usual areas; however, I found some water in the driver side foot well that I know was dry prior to the test. could water be getting in from somewhere else? I read that there is some sort of an elbow that is on the driver side A pillar near the hood release that some folks have replaced as it tends to break, but I could not find it or at least recognize it. You guys have any ideas?

· Registered
106 Posts
Thanks for the response. Well I found that the exit holes underneath on the frame rails were a little stopped up. I cleared and blew out the drain lines and exit points underneath with compressed air and it seems to be draining correctly. I performed a water test yesterday and verified that there were no leaks anywhere around the sunroof tray or usual areas; however, I found some water in the driver side foot well that I know was dry prior to the test. could water be getting in from somewhere else? I read that there is some sort of an elbow that is on the driver side A pillar near the hood release that some folks have replaced as it tends to break, but I could not find it or at least recognize it. You guys have any ideas?
Were you running your air conditioner at the time?

· ashr
32 Posts
Thanks for the response. Well I found that the exit holes underneath on the frame rails were a little stopped up. I cleared and blew out the drain lines and exit points underneath with compressed air and it seems to be draining correctly.
Hey sfl4x4: Can you describe for me how you blew out the drain lines?
I have a similar problem and didn't want to pull my headliner to get at the drain lines, and I am certain mine are clogged. The nipples underneath the frame are fine (when these get clogged I get pooling in the foot wells, and don't current have that, only dripping at the headliner.)

· Registered
106 Posts
Hey sfl4x4: Can you describe for me how you blew out the drain lines?
I have a similar problem and didn't want to pull my headliner to get at the drain lines, and I am certain mine are clogged. The nipples underneath the frame are fine (when these get clogged I get pooling in the foot wells, and don't current have that, only dripping at the headliner.)
Even if the lines are clean, there are two plastic boxes that mate to the metal sunroof tray. Those boxes are most likely the culprit. I had clear lines, but the boxes were leaking in both of my sunroofs causing water to leak from anywhere in the headliner it could...including the cabin lights.

· ashr
32 Posts
Even if the lines are clean, there are two plastic boxes that mate to the metal sunroof tray. Those boxes are most likely the culprit. I had clear lines, but the boxes were leaking in both of my sunroofs causing water to leak from anywhere in the headliner it could...including the cabin lights.
Yep, and my cabin lights (I think they're technically called courtesy lights! which always kills me) are toast or at least intermittently toast. So, okay, I'll rip sun visors and the plastic molding back down (maybe not rip, but gently undo) and then take a look at those plastic boxes...can they be seen without pulling the headliner?

· Registered
106 Posts
Yep, and my cabin lights (I think they're technically called courtesy lights! which always kills me) are toast or at least intermittently toast. So, okay, I'll rip sun visors and the plastic molding back down (maybe not rip, but gently undo) and then take a look at those plastic boxes...can they be seen without pulling the headliner?
Good question. Yes, it you can see the plastic but it will be easier for you to do any work with the headliner completely out. It isn't that difficult to remove, just a lot of plastic handles and miscellaneous pieces to remove first. I would suggest taking it out, because you may have bad drain lines that need to be replaced. I had dry-rotted lines and was able to cut a section out and replace using a coupler.

I'll post photos later this week or next week. I still have my headliner out(...since April 2013).

Jordan

· HeadlinerExpress
253 Posts
I can help answer questions, we have discussed this topic on the site many times over the years. If your unwilling to remove the headliner board theirs no sense discussing how to resolve your water problems.

Their is no quick fix....

Your job since your going to resolve this issue your self is to eliminate 3 words:

#1 ) I Think
#2 ) Perhaps
#3 ) Maybe

all 3 works are inconclusive

Their are about 10 possible reasons why water is coming in but you need to first start by removing the headliner board to start the process of elimination, one by one to find the problem. OR you can talk about what it might be all day.

I'm here to help you process through these steps if your willing to do the job. I can walk you through all the processes step by step, email or place your self within your vehicle on your phone and ill instruct you what to do or look for.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.