Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Series Moderator
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I run a Series 3 in Sri Lanka.

Could anyone give me some tips on driving through water ( wadeing) .

What gears should be used?

What should be checked before and after such an adventure?

Your response will be appreciated.

Cheers

Nilhan WeeraSinha

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello from England!

Much depends on depth of water, approach (height of banks, mud, rock etc) however preparation of engine bay is important if you have a petrol engine.

Firstly buy a Wading Plug which screws into the hole in the bellhousing - this will stop water and mud coming in and ruining the clutch mechanism - take it out when you have finished as the hole should be left clear to allow drainage.

A rubber type glove over the distributer with the finger ends cut off to allow the HT leads through, all edges sealed with tape will hekp keep water out of the electrics. Spray everything else electrical with WD40 or similar.

If deep, cover the front grill before you go in with a plastic bag, sheet of hardborad or anything else to prevent water, and if you have an electric fan install a cut-off switch to prevent it coming on (and spraying water all over the engine) when ypou go through. If the fan is not electric just hope!

Test the water depth if you can first. Approach the water slowly - use four wheel drive in low ratio 2nd gear - if deep or if the front end dips downwards into the water as you start to enter speed up then and keep the speeed going, and create a "bow wave" to push the water ahead of you - this will tend to also leave an air pocket in the engine bay - keep going and hope you get to the other side. If the exhaust / silencer / muffler is underwater keep the engine going or the water may be drawn back up into the engine through the pipe. be prepared to pull your feet up if the water come into the cab - don't worry as there are plenty of gaps for it to run back out again. Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
mozz said:
Hello from England!

Much depends on depth of water, approach (height of banks, mud, rock etc) however preparation of engine bay is important if you have a petrol engine.

Firstly buy a Wading Plug which screws into the hole in the bellhousing - this will stop water and mud coming in and ruining the clutch mechanism - take it out when you have finished as the hole should be left clear to allow drainage.

A rubber type glove over the distributer with the finger ends cut off to allow the HT leads through, all edges sealed with tape will hekp keep water out of the electrics. Spray everything else electrical with WD40 or similar.

If deep, cover the front grill before you go in with a plastic bag, sheet of hardborad or anything else to prevent water, and if you have an electric fan install a cut-off switch to prevent it coming on (and spraying water all over the engine) when ypou go through. If the fan is not electric just hope!

Test the water depth if you can first. Approach the water slowly - use four wheel drive in low ratio 2nd gear - if deep or if the front end dips downwards into the water as you start to enter speed up then and keep the speeed going, and create a "bow wave" to push the water ahead of you - this will tend to also leave an air pocket in the engine bay - keep going and hope you get to the other side. If the exhaust / silencer / muffler is underwater keep the engine going or the water may be drawn back up into the engine through the pipe. be prepared to pull your feet up if the water come into the cab - don't worry as there are plenty of gaps for it to run back out again. Good Luck!
Great advice... Also make sure that your radio and other such communication devices are mounted high up in the cab. Lost a good radio and CB due to being too low in the cab. Have also heard of waterproofing the distributer by wiring in a air pump and drilling a small hole in the distibutor cap and running a small tube into the distributor to create outward air pressure inside to keep water from flowing in. Have yet to test the theory, but as I said have heard that it has been done. Andrew

·
Registered
21 Posts
Wadeing

Hi Pickuprover & Mozz,

Thanks for your reply.
Due to heavy monsoon rains and the overflowing of the Kelani river I was compelled to drive my 1982 Series3 Diesel through 2ft of water to enter my work place in Biyagama Sri Lanka on the 22nd of November last year. Only the company Defender and my Series 3 were able to enter the premises with ease! The drivers of fancy SUV's decided they could not take the test and had to park their vehicles and take a ride in one of the Land Rovers!!

Water did get into the cabin apart from that I did not have any other problem. I did engage 4wd and drove through at a moderate speed.
I did also increase the engine idling speed by adjusting the lever in the cabin.

I was not prepared with a wadeing plug ! anyway the clutch has not complained so far! The water probably drained out and dried out.

I have also noted your tip on covering the radiator grill and creating the bow wave and of course not stalling the engine with the exhaust under the water.

I Think I did somethings correct I will be more prepared for my next adventure which will probably be in one of the wildlife parks in the country.

Sorry i cant get a photo in as the file is too large. Will do so once I learn how to Zip a file!

Thanks and Best regards

Nilhan

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.