Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sure this is a tired issue- I just do not know the answer. My Father has been working in England for the last several months- driving a late model Defender. He loves it. He wants to bring it back to the US- I told him I had some friends who said you couldn't do it- there is a difference between the Uk models and the US models (other than the LHD, RHD issue, of course). Is it pretty much impossible?

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Importing A Defender

I've been down this road before. While nothing is impossible, it is prohibitively expensive to import any vehicle, not identical to one currently imported, that is less than 25 years old (to the month of manufacture.) In order to legally import a vehicle, the vehicle must be listed as eligible, on the NHTS list. The only Defender which has been placed on the list is the 1993 Defender 110. Even those must be imported by a "Registered Importer" and brought into compliance. You must post a bond, equal to 100% of the value of the vehicle. The bond is then released by DOT and US Customs when the 'RI' submits the vehicle for permanant entry, and acceptance has been made. Years ago, when the Gray Market rule was 5 years, it was much easier.
I would suggest you go to the NHTSA website and read up on the regulations. They publish a list of 'Registered Importer" and there may be one in your area who can answer specific questions regarding the extent of work necessary. There are many Defenders over here which do NOT meet the rules, and the owners are at great risk to seizure by customs. Thisis risky business in that customs can reject an import, not done to their liking, and it's immediate export or destruction is their only offered solution when that happens. I guess it's no surprise it's difficult, otherwise Defenders in the US wouldn't be bringing the rediculous prices they seem to be.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.