Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a 95 disco with a 5 speed manual I am going to buy tomorrow morning.
I have a feeling it’s going to need engine work from what the buyer said but it’s at an price that I can’t pass.

He said its drive able but needs work that it’s making lifter noises, and that the cooling fan needs replaced as it starts to go hot if sitting in traffic but cools down if you turn the heater on.

I am buying the disco tomorrow and I know like I said it may need engine work but the price is to good to pass up.

what are some of the things I should look at when looking at it tomorrow? Are lifters and the over heating a sign of the engine needing to be rebuilt or swapped?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Check for excessive rust.
Check that the transmission works.
Check that you can get the truck CDL into all its gears.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If it does need to be rebuilt or swapped what are my engine options for a quick swap are 3.9 engines harder to find?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I drove it around a bit but was not liking the over heating part. The interior was rough but it ran and drove ok. Very minimal if no rust. Idk I’m still on the fence about it it passed on it for the moment. I wish there were more 5speed manual rovers around it was a blast to drive. I’m gonna take a little time and weigh pros and cons before making my mind up for sure.

·
very disco
1,633 Posts
Motors are easily and cheaply had for those guys. 5sp shifters, gearboxes, etc... not so much!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Hes only wanting 1500 for it.
The interior is in pretty rough condition but he local wrecking yard and face book market place has a lot of discos for interior parts.
He claims it over heats because it needs a electric radiator fan which they did not use in these years.... I don't buy that.
But it was a blast to drive.
I am thinking pretty hard on it.

·
very disco
1,633 Posts
How quickly does it overheat, and does it overheat while idling?

going by the numbers, I’d suspect head gaskets, but it’s entirely possible it just needs the cooling system serviced.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It was pretty quick but he turned the heater on defrost and it cooled down a little bit. Also had lifter noise after warmed up. I am thinking head gasket but not 100% certain. it would be great if it was just the cooling system needing bleed or something. I am new to land rovers/range rovers so i am learning about the engines etc. The center locking dif and the 4x4 worked.

·
very disco
1,633 Posts
That’s actually a good sign... I’ve had several discos with blown gaskets and cranking the heater never did a damned thing to slow the heat.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Be sure to share some many images of your new disco purchase. The eagle eyes on the forum can help diagnose via some images :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I haven’t bought it yet. I am still trying to decide. A part of me wants to just get it and risk it but another pArt of me is yelling stay away. He doesn’t have a key fob for it and it looks like he’s using a spare key to start and drive it.

·
Registered
121 Posts
If you have a wife or girlfriend, what would she say?
Take that as reference to how you really feel about buying or not buying.

·
very disco
1,633 Posts
it's contagious. significant others can come around

·
Registered
121 Posts
Than by all means get that truck, and know that your brothers in arms - the forum has your back!
Lets see if we can get this truck on the road and working before Winter.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
what year discovery’s share parts with the first gens? 94-97? Becuase I think the interior might need swapped like the seats if I do get it. One thing holding me back
Is it’s another 3 hour drive there and 3 hour drive back I spent all darn day in the car yesterday lol.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Same:
Valve covers and gaskets.
Starter.
Spark plugs and wires

[D1/D2] Difference between Discovery I/II

This information is relevant for North American Land Rover Discovery

Discovery (1) -1993-1999
full floater axles
CDL