Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
LOL
Yes swapable
The D1 and D2 are different beast all together, and yet similar.

·
very disco
1,637 Posts
Stealable I think?

yeah d1 spans 94-99.5 in NAS I think, and shares a lot with the Range Rover Classic.

should be easy to snag parts for

·
Registered
1989 Defender 110 (After 10 years of searching), 1996 Disco 1 (5-Speed Manual RARE)
10 Posts
Hi JP1985, I have a 1996 D1 5SP been slowly restoring it so happy to help guide you.
I recently acquired a Defender 110 Tdi in nearly perfect and OEM condition sooooo I may start ignoring the D1 LOL!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Nice thanks I appreciate all the help. I think I have decided to go get it. Worse comes to worse I can swap the engine. I do plan on swapping the interior because the seats are rough. would love a tdi defender! They look so bad ass. I really enjoyed driving it when I took it for the test drive. I just hope it can make the 3 hour drive back home without over heating.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
:( he said he might end up trading it tomorrow for a forester instead of selling it to me. I hope this is not the case. I will be sad for sure, but if that ends up happening i may look into getting a lr3 instead. I just like the manual transmission a lot though.

·
very disco
1,637 Posts
Hmm. I hope you get it. I love my LR3 also, but D1/D2 are tits. Rugged coil springs, floating axles, less crap to learn how to fix.

the 4.4 is a GREAT engine tho. I’m over 200k and rockin steady

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Yeah I hope so to. I think hes being a bit passive aggressive because i did not buy it on the spot yesterday.

·
very disco
1,637 Posts
Just tell him you’re going to make it right, and with somebody else it’ll end up in a yard. If he’s an enthusiast he’ll surely pass it along

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Fingers crossed. I really hope he doesn’t end up trading it to her and sells it to me instead. I guess if that happens it happens though. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
So he said the breaks were soft and he wouldn’t feel right selling it to me before fixing that.
He said he bleed them and they were still soft so the master cylinder needed replaced and said he’d take 1200 for it And that I have to bring a trailer for it.
So I’m going to go pick it up this week.I hope it is just a master cylinder and that something else Did not happen to the engine.

If the engine does go out do I have to swap it with another 3.9 or can it use later disco2 engines?

·
Registered
10 Posts
You are going to want to stick with the 14cux system in the 95. Swapping it out for a GEMS style later engine is possible but a lot of work.

You can make a gems block work, along with the 4.6 bottom end (i think need to check on the oil pump setup).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I haven't gotten it yet. every time i try and get down to get it something happens. I was only 33 mins away from picking it up when my truck broke the transmission cable and left me stranded with an empty car haler. Having to be towed back to my mechanics shop cost me an arm and a leg. I am trying to figure a way to get down there and get it again soon.he lives 4 hours away from me.
As far as the engine goes i dont i have to replace it yet... I am hoping not. But he stopped driving it because he said htre master break cylinder is going bad and teh breaks dont work.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts