Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i found the rover I think I will buy, it is a 96 dark green with just over 100k on the clock. I am getting it for 3500. the only known flaw is that the front sunroof is not working properly, it does not align properly. First is this a problem and second a 96 compared to a 99 or 95 if this a good choice, as far as ease of working on, and electrical. I hear the 95s are obd1, does this make them easier to work on? I also hear that in 99 they switched over to bosch for the wiring does this make the wiring more reliable?

and one last question the only rover I have driven is a 99 disco II will the 96 feel different on the inside, or look much different on the outside besides not having the harmen kardon stereo? I loved the feel of the disco II. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
Well...some say the 96 is not a good year. I have a 96 and have had relatively few problems. Another good buddy has a 96 and has had no problems. Given what others go through and what I am learning...I would go for a 95 or a D2 (99 onward - some 99's are D1's thought). But, all in all, that is a good price. It might be a good bet if all the receipts were there and it was taken care of. Just have it checked out by a good mechanic who knows rovers.

As far as the difference...it's almost like they are completely different vehicles - OK, they are... a new model, but I think you get my point. I read a thread on dweeb about it, go search that forum for it. It was pretty good and explained a lot of stuff. They look alot like but there are some big differences.

Just my .02.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I have a 96, so far so good on the problems. I had a D2 before this. Frankly there's something to like and dislike about both, which really probably comes down to personal preferences, not particularly that one is better or worse than the other. I'm not missing the ABS/TC/HD lights coming on with the D2 and having to have the dealer re-set it though, which wasn't an uncommon occurance with the D2. My personal opinion is I like both and could live easily with either a D1 or D2.

·
Forward!
2,324 Posts
Me 97 D1, Wife 2000 D2 both are completely different vehicles. Inside both are actually very similar, barring my SD or bottom of the line trim level and hers has EVERY option minus ACE. I'll give the seats in the D2 a thums up, but the seating position in the D1 is much better. On the outside everything is almost the same except everything on the D2 (except the rear doors) grew larger. Longer/wider wheelbase, bigger rear overhang, etc. etc. Both are great vehicles, haven't had any major issues with either. The 96 you describe sounds to be a good deal and the sunroof thing doesn't sound that terrible. As Roverx said, have it checked by a mechanic you trust to give you piece of mind. Oh yeah one more thing, if you plan on offroading I would give the thumbs up to the D1 IMO!

Good luck! :drink1:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses, I am not able to tell to much of a difference between the d1 and d2 however there is something about the d2 that just makes it look slightly better, probably the sizing differences. As far as having it inspected there is no rover mechanic around were this one is located:( I am going to have to kinda of wing the inspection of it. I figure if there are no leaks, it drives straight and shifts well. then I should be all right. I do not plan on doing much off roading and will most deffinitly work on it myself. The only thing that bothers me is the electrical. But I think that I can work through those kinks. it does not sound like the electrical issue is incompasitating. it is just a nussance. if anybody can direct me to a thread the discusses the difference I would apreciate it. I would also have to guesse that the d1 is slightly easier to work in in the engine bay. By the way, are the seats that much different. Thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.