Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Allright guys, so I was leaving the parking at the dorm to head home and my ABS totally fails. I drove 2.5 hrs home without ABS and four lights shining different shades of orange on the dash(one is the "check engine" so I don't have to worry about it :D ). Big Red is a beast to stop without her ABS system. My pump has been making a lot of noise. What is the problem? Do I need to check relays?
My cruise will set for about 3 minutes then cut out. I won't reset after this. Any ideas?

THANKS FOR ANY AND ALL HELP,
Garrett

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi Garrett,
I agree with Okie Rover, does point to a vaccum leak:

1. to the vacuum assisted braking.
2. to the cruise control.

go round all the hoses on the top of the engine, check for splits, particulary at where they join the body.

If the engine was running rough look at the larger pipes first.

Did the red ABS light come on?
What were exactly the orange lights?

what year is your RR?

not sure if I can help any further, but if I can help I will (from a amature's point of view that is).

regards
Colin :wave:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My rangie is a 1993 SWB. The lights on are: Check Engine(due to potentiometer/code 17), ABS, Parking Brake, Traction Control. Thanks guys for the suggestions. I read on another post that a blown brake lamp could cause trouble with the cruise? I don't think I have one though. I also read I could jump two wire located above the drivers ankles and count how many times the ABS light flashed. These flashes would traslate into a code i.e. 2-14 or 2-3. Any ideas guys?

·
Registered
30 Posts
ABS and Cruise Failure

Hi,
The UK haynes manual ( goes up to Oct 1992) does give a description on testing the ABS by shorting out two pins in the abs diagnostic socket.
This will only tell you which wheel sensor is not reporting (though I suspect the most common problem).
If you want to go down this route let me know your Email address and I will send the relevent scanned pages tommorow night.
regards
Colin :wave:

·
Registered
30 Posts
ABS and Cruise Failure

Hi Garrett, sent the Jpegs (opens in acrobat) of the two pages on ABS faultfinding. :clap:
Though scathed by most people looks like haynes have put in a good section.
I had a volvo that had on board diagnostics for the engine system and it realley proved useful.
providing you take care in which pins you short out it should be able to point you to the route cause.
regards colin :wave:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Redrover,

Hope you got all of your problems fixed.

Just in case your ABS bladder is going out read my post http://landroversonly.com/forums/showthread.php?t=557&highlight=brakes

The motor running is the give away unless fluid is missing. Could be other things...of course.

Cruise control is done by vacuum to a diaphram on my 1991 RRC. The diaphram pulls the throttle plate open. My diapham was shot so it never held as it had decayed severly. (Perhaps yours has leak. Disconnect hose and suck out air will tell if leaking.) There is a vacuum release on the brake petal. This is a fail-safe which releases diapham vacuum. The primary is electrical signal from brake switch. (I had brake switch problem which prevents cruise control operation.)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.