Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The ABS light comes on every once in a while on my son's "98 D1 when he is making a slow (almost stopped) turn. It doesn't do it all the time. He says he can feel the pedal pulse when it happens. Everything else seems OK.
He also has a ratteling sound from the area of the cats. Is there anything else it could be ?? Thanks for any info...

PFZ

· Registered
777 Posts
pzwerner said:
The ABS light comes on every once in a while on my son's "98 D1 when he is making a slow (almost stopped) turn. It doesn't do it all the time. He says he can feel the pedal pulse when it happens. Everything else seems OK.
He also has a ratteling sound from the area of the cats. Is there anything else it could be ?? Thanks for any info...

PFZ

Sounds like one of the cats is gone (marbles in a can sound). On the ABS reseat the sensors and that should solve the problem. There could be more of an issue but I doubt it! Good Luck!

· Premium Member
1,301 Posts
Does it happen in all weather wet and dry? I have has a sensor go bad causing a similar effect when it was wet.

· Registered
777 Posts
It sounds like the ABS Sensors (one of them) is kicking in prematurely. Which is usually indicitive of a bad/dirty sensor..and they are not cheap! However try to push them back in (clean them too with a steel wool pad), flush the brake system with Dot4, and see if that solves it..Donuts to Dollars it is one of the front sensors.

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I cleaned the ABS sensors on my son's car Sun morn before he took off back to Kansas City. They seemed tight and OK. I noticed that the springs between the pads on both sides were broken and replace them with some generic springs from hardware store. I also bled the four wheels and checked pressures. He called when he got back and said "NO light !!" but like I mentioned, it only happens sporatically. When you only have a couple of hours to get everything corrected, you can't dig too deep !!! With six other cars to maintain, I'm sometimes pressed for time to get ALL jobs accomplished... I also have a real job !! Cars and racing are my only time consuming HOBBY !!!

PFZ

· Mod. --- I'm watching you
319 Posts
I would think the heat shield on the exhaust is broken. ;) Just weld it back up or cut it off and wrap the pipe or cat in heat tape.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.