Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

21 - 40 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hi Josh,

It is a really helpful instruction, and I used Option B to diagnose the 3 Amigos. However, SVS valves are working fine, the voltages were as you had shown in the instruction, the connector is good as well.

The connnection inside ABS module to outside connector is also good. I can't figure out why my 3 Amigos lights are ON. Any idea what would be other causes?

Do we need special Amigo Scanner to clear the code or ordinary OBDII scanner such as Innova or Actron would do the job? Thanks.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Hi Josh,

It is a really helpful instruction, and I used Option B to diagnose the 3 Amigos. However, SVS valves are working fine, the voltages were as you had shown in the instruction, the connector is good as well.

The connnection inside ABS module to outside connector is also good. I can't figure out why my 3 Amigos lights are ON. Any idea what would be other causes?

Do we need special Amigo Scanner to clear the code or ordinary OBDII scanner such as Innova or Actron would do the job? Thanks.
Thanks...

The resistance test in the write up is only to test the Shuttle Valve switches. It will not tell you why your amigos is on. My switches were good but i still had the amigos. You need to get the codes read before doing anything. I specifically addressed that in the write-up.

You can buy the ABS Amigo.... or go find a shop near you that has a capable scanner. In the states you are limited to the hawkeye scanner and the ABS amigo before you start buying REALLY expensive rover capable scanners.

Now that you verified that your SVS are good, you can ASSUME it is the electrical fault mentioned in the write-up if the amigos go away after you restart the engine.

GET THE CODES READ..get back to us with all the codes. Don't do anything else until then.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Josh,
Thanks for the write up! I did the "option B" fix on my '00 D2, and for the first time in years, my thee-amigos lights are off. Much better!

One thing to possibly add to your write up: After I got my modulator assembly all back together, I realized it would have been better to re-insert the cut-off SVS plug into the modulator body, just to keep a good watertight seal for the internal electronics.

-Erik Burrows

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Josh,
Thanks for the write up! I did the "option B" fix on my '00 D2, and for the first time in years, my thee-amigos lights are off. Much better!

One thing to possibly add to your write up: After I got my modulator assembly all back together, I realized it would have been better to re-insert the cut-off SVS plug into the modulator body, just to keep a good watertight seal for the internal electronics.

-Erik Burrows
Glad it worked out for you. Did you scan the codes and confirm that was the problem? You should add the following to your signature.

"Amigos Free since 12/2009"

·
Registered
31 Posts
RE: ABD Modulator FIX-3 Amigos Symptoms?

I also have the intermittent 3 Amigos on my 03 disco as well. Can everyone please confirm that when their 3 amigos are lit up on the dash board you have no ABS and TC? My truck has no ABS or TC when the lights are on. Had the family in the truck yesterday during a snow storm and almost crashed the truck when the amigos came on while going down an icy hill-Very scary with no ABS/TC.
Thanks, Chris

·
Registered
13 Posts
I want to be Amigo Free!

I only have two of the three amigos (TC & DH) lit with the ABS randomly showing up. I feel comfortable working on most D2 projects, and this one looks easy enough, but then again i've said that before and been very wrong.

Anyway I just wanted to see if there is anybody out there looking to make some extra cash for the project. I live around West Chester PA so shoot me a response back if you can do the work.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have TC and DH all the time with their brother ABS chiming in about 10-15 minutes into the trip. Funny thing is I almost never had these lights before my motor was rebuilt, anyway I bought the abs amigo last week awaiting its arrival with anticipation so I can clear these codes and tell you guys which ones I've got, if it lines up then I'll perform fix B... :drink1:

Got my ABS Amigo in the mail today - here are the codes...am I a candidate for the ABS modulator fix?
1.--Current Faults---->
Active Faults:
None
Logged Faults:
021:Engine PWM signal bad
114:Shuttle Valve Electric Failure
<-END Faults
------------------------------------------------------------
..--Previous Faults--->
Active Faults:
022:ECU Gnd or Reference Gnd bad
Logged Faults:
None
<-END Faults
..--Previous Faults--->
Active Faults:
064:Front Right sensor electric fail
065:Rear Left sensor electric fail
066:Front Left sensor electric fail
067:Rear Right sensor electric fail
Logged Faults:
None
<-END Faults

After clearing them out I started her up, within about 20 seconds the TC and HDC lights came back on, here are the codes.
1.--Current Faults---->
Active Faults:
None
Logged Faults:
<-END Faults
..--Previous Faults--->
Active Faults:
None
Logged Faults:
<-END Faults
..--Previous Faults--->
Active Faults:
Logged Faults:
None
<-END Faul

·
Registered
19 Posts
I only have two of the three amigos (TC & DH) lit with the ABS randomly showing up. I feel comfortable working on most D2 projects, and this one looks easy enough, but then again i've said that before and been very wrong.

Anyway I just wanted to see if there is anybody out there looking to make some extra cash for the project. I live around West Chester PA so shoot me a response back if you can do the work.

Just did the fix using the hard wiring and it was pretty easy. The three hex screws are the only problem. Other than that it was easy. It takes about an hour as long as you pre-wire the connectors.

Not sure if this fix will fix your problem but I'm in Syracuse if you can't find anyone closer. Might even be able to do it in Binghamton.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi,

I already had my mechanic replace the shuttle valve, but that didn't work, so I just bought an ABS Amigo and got the following:
1.--Current Faults---->
Active Faults:
Logged Faults:
<-END Faults

Before I attempt it, my mechanically inept-self, just wanted to verify that Option B should take care of this? Also, before even doing that should I try the troubleshooting in the Technical Bulletins on the ABS Amigo site?

Thanks!

Steven

·
Registered
16 Posts
This looks like a very well thought out and performed fix that I should be able to do. I've had the 3 amigos for a few months so today I'm gonna try to get rid of the lil SOBs. I really appreciate the step by step instructions with detailed pics. Now I've got to check on why my blinkers aren't working for similar instructions and I'm off to try this out. I'll check back in and let everyone know how it go.

·
Registered
891 Posts
This looks like a very well thought out and performed fix that I should be able to do. I've had the 3 amigos for a few months so today I'm gonna try to get rid of the lil SOBs. I really appreciate the step by step instructions with detailed pics. Now I've got to check on why my blinkers aren't working for similar instructions and I'm off to try this out. I'll check back in and let everyone know how it go.
are you even sure that the shuttle valve error is what caused the lights to illuminate in the first place?

·
Registered
16 Posts
are you even sure that the shuttle valve error is what caused the lights to illuminate in the first place?
We'll know for sure tomorrow. I've got the wiring done from option B and though the process of taking the modulator apart is a difficult one because of the resistance from the brake lines I was able to get it done. A few hints that might help anyone attempting this, get a long 6mm hex wrench that will allow you to put the right amount of torque on the outside hex bolts because they are TIGHT. I had to use a socket wrench with a hex attatchment to get them loosened up. It's possible though folks, even for a mech-nub like me. I've got the wiring ready to go similar to the picture only I'm using 18guage wire and running it out in a solid strand to the ground and YG instead of a detatchable trailer harness. I figure if I have to go thru this again snipping and re-wiring is the least of my problems. Tomorrow it goes back in and we'll see if the 3 amigos saddle up and ride out!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Were you getting the amigos on intermittently or did they just come on and stay on?
They came on and stayed on and they're still there :-( Any other suggestions? I guess I'll jsut have to take er into the shop and let them have their way with it unless anyone else might know what of another solution?

·
Registered
891 Posts
if they were never intermittent then a shuttle valve is 99.9% not your problem.....although rebuilding the modulator would ensure its hassle free operation for a long time to come.

Just get an abs amigo for $200 and read and clear the codes. Then don't do anything until they reappear.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Yep gotta get the Amigo, ok, it's late and I'm tired so forgive the repeat question. If the issue was fixed, would the codes still need to be cleared (so the lights go away)? That is my thinking anyway..fixing the issue is not enough, I think they still need to be cleared.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
For the 114 code, (shuttle valve electrical failure) you DO NOT need to clear the codes, they clear themselves. But you need to have a scanner to know that is the issue to begin with.

Other faults require clearing the codes AFTER the repair is made. Otherwise the AMIGOS will remain.

In ownedcasey's situation, he didn't get his codes read and assumed my repair was the answer.

However, I clearly state in the write-up:

Disclaimer:
Use this guide at your own risk!!!!
Before attempting this repair, read the ABS trouble codes stored on the SLABS ECU to verify it is not another issue. A specialized scanner is required to read and clear the code(s). An intermittent fault will clear itself after shutting the engine off and restarting it. It will not however clear the faults from the SLABS ECU memory.

Having codes stored in memory will not cause the three amigos to come on. Only active faults cause them to visit. See Diagnostics for more information about the scanner(s).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just did the fix using the hard wiring and it was pretty easy. The three hex screws are the only problem. Other than that it was easy. It takes about an hour as long as you pre-wire the connectors.

Not sure if this fix will fix your problem but I'm in Syracuse if you can't find anyone closer. Might even be able to do it in Binghamton.
Yeah thats a bit of a drive for me. Im in WC PA not WC NY.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Were you getting the amigos on intermittently or did they just come on and stay on?
My down hill and traction control are always lit while my ABS randomly appears. The ABS is typically transient showing up maybe once a week but goes away after the car has been turned off.

21 - 40 of 137 Posts