Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

101 - 120 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
I completed the option B fix last night and I wanted to say thanks for your illustrations. They were easy to follow and made the task relatively simple. Anyone who may be intimidated by this undertaking doesn't have anything to worry about.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
I completed the option B fix last night and I wanted to say thanks for your illustrations. They were easy to follow and made the task relatively simple. Anyone who may be intimidated by this undertaking doesn't have anything to worry about.
Glad i could help!

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #103

·
Registered
27 Posts
Is there anyone in the Los Angeles area that can help me out with this fix?? I will try to do on my own but im not good with mechanical/electrical stuff.

Any reccomendations will help.

Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
so i have the 3 amigos on my dash they go on and off constantly while i drive but some days nothing some days a few times between parking and going and i was nervouse as all hell but your post in full detail is deffinately a major help i like how you described step by step how to check for everything. I guess now i jus have to find the problem or someone around PA to do a check and tell me what it could be thats going off but thanks it's a help
Find a mechanic or friend that has Rover software to enable it to enter and read the actual fault codes. A 3 amigo scanner or a Hawkeye are what many people use to help them thru this problem where guessing usually won't get you far.

·
Registered
3 Posts
three amigos

recently i broke my drive axle and cv joint on my drivers side of my 2004 disco 2 pulled all out myself and slid a new one in bolted everything back on greased that wheel speed sensor in there but it back nice and snug then started my car and made it a couple feet and the three amigos came on ive taken the whole assebly back apart messed with the sensor cleaned pads and rotar and still my lights will not go off after reseting the computer i know it has to be somewhere in the bearing breaks cause wasnt doing it befor i broke the axle and i had to drive it home and still nothing was on so any advice about what i could do to further eliminate other problems..

·
Registered
84 Posts
Just finished the option b and flushed brake fluid, three amigos are gone and truck runs great!!!! Thanks for all the useful info on this site. Saved me $300 by doing it myself.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Still getting a fault

Hey guys - any advice - maybe a bad ground? I reseated the ground once already. I might be able to video my handywork if needed.

I did everything and I'm still getting this code: (Via Amigo)

1.--Current Faults---->
Active Faults:
None
Logged Faults:
016:Shuttle valve long term fail
<-END Faults

Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ok so I am a newb here, we have a 2003 disco 2 the other day the "three amigo's" showed up plus my brake light. I ran some road tests and there is no ABS traction control or HDC that works right now, does the unit WABCO unit need to be replaced or am I off base here, I read the Fix but because my BRAKE light is on I was thinking that might not be the problem.

Thanks
Fred

·
And I didn't even submit a proposal...
202 Posts
Thanks for this great write up! Yesterday I replaced the shuttle valve seals and the switches and also did the B mod. I took my time, I began intending to remove only half of the modulator and ended up removing the whole unit, figuring I had less chances of breaking somethingthat way. Of course I had to bleed the modulator and lines afterward, but it is so easy to do with the Hawkeye that I was able to do it all by myself. It took about 6 hours all told, and I cleaned about half the engine bay while I was there.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Great step by step write up! Really is helpful when you have no idea what you doing! Thanks!

·
Registered
122 Posts
I did the fix last year, and checked to day to see what codes were there. The 114 pooped up. Should I assume the fix did not work? Anyone had a similar experience?

1.--Current Faults---->
Active Faults:
114:Shuttle Valve Electric Failure
Logged Faults:
044:Front Right sensor output low
046:Front Left sensor output low
Front Left Sensor Bad Output
114:Shuttle Valve Electric Failure
<-END Faults
------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------
..--Previous Faults--->
Active Faults:
None
Logged Faults:
044:Front Right sensor output low
046:Front Left sensor output low
<-END Faults

·
Registered
37 Posts
great write up, easily one of the best thought out write ups I've seen in a while. kudos!

I went with Option B - and avoided flushing brake fluid. It took me about 4 hours in total - I dont have a lot of experience. heres some feedback:

I purchased the same trailer harness from O'Reilly:
Hopkins Manufacturing 47965 - Trailer Light Extension | O'Reilly Auto Parts
note, if you are doing this, be aware that the hopkins trailer extension cable is 12 gauge stranded while the SVS brown cables and the yellow/green cable are both smaller - 14 or possibly 16.

I used butt splice instead of splice/solder - my soldering skills are terrible.
Gardner Bender 16 - 14 AWG Butt Splice Heat Shrinks (7-Pack)-AMT-4123 at The Home Depot
In retrospect I'm not sure if this connector is ideal given the differences in the gauges of the wires.

very fiddly work. using an allen key with a short arm really helped - when undoing the bolts on the underside of the ABS most of my time was spent trying to get the key inserted into the bolt. by moving the abs around I could get enough space to rotate the smaller key without removing it.

Dropped several tools deep into the engine bay. I suggest padding out the area around the ABS with towels to catch runaway tools. I had to dismantle the air filter box twice to rescue an escapee.

Things I broke during this fix:
one of the pastic arms on the clips that hold the brake lines to the bulkhead. very hard to maneuver the brake lines back into place without breaking this plastic clip.
intentionally broke two of the four plastic arms that hold the SVS plug to the cover plate. I also needed to widen the two holes in the coverplate to allow the cables to pass through. I left the svs plug out when I put it back together.

now to wait & see if the three amigos return!

·
wags
98 Posts
99 DII fault code

I have the three amigos, friend ran a scan today and got P1592 Ruff Road Signal drive code A. It would not clear off. Anyone ran into this code?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Still got Shuttle valve issues

Well it may just be that the brakes need more bleeding but it is over 100 miles to a dealer and no mainstream garage will touch a disco beyond changing the oil. So bought the kit complete with seals, removed the valve unit and this is what I found - see pics. Someone had bodged it to try and fix the problem, the left hand cap screw being cross threaded and the wiring jumped into the loom. The plastic valve piece was wet with fluid so I guess the seals had gone. I tapped out the cross threaded hole, changed the tiny seals and replaced the new unit on. I reconnected the wiring in the loom and set to bleeding the brakes. The most difficult brake bleeding exercise since I started working on my own vehicles in 1968! and they barely work as they need doing again it seems. I killed the amigo lights and started the truck. The lights stayed out so I parked it up. I later drove it round the house and bang they came on again!

I am hoping that it is just that the brakes still have air in them so another manual bleed (with the engine running?) may fix it - I hope. To say I am disappointed with this vehicle (and all post 1996 land rovers) would be an understatement. Having had everything from ex army S2 through 90's, 110's and early discos. The worst vehicle I had previously was a 94 Range Rover I bought with 19,000miles at 18 months old. Just about everything went wrong with that not least of which was the top tailgate springing open every time you hit a rough road. But at least it was repairable without special tools.

Attachments

·
Registered
454 Posts
:dunno:I just completed the repair and get the same 114 codes but they come on differently. Previously the three amigos would come on every day but all three would come on at the same time. Now when I start it up all the lights go out except the ABS light and then a second later the other two come on. I need to take it back apart to check everything I've done.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I had done the option B fix, and my 114 came back on. I researched and someone suggested cleaning the ground wire and re-seating it. It had rusted and so I cleaned it up and then moved it to sit behind the ABS Unit which looks free from corrosion. It worked!

I have always been getting the left and right front speed sensor faults so I am going to grease them and see if that takes care of it. I had not noticed on the directions for ABS replacement to grease the senors. I really wish I could read directions! Will report on that as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well.. I read this thread 6 months ago and am now ready to run an option b fix… my memory is pretty good but not good enough to do without instruction. What happen to the page the link sends you to? anybody have this somewhere else? Thanks!

101 - 120 of 149 Posts