Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1990 RRC and the abs pump kicks on about every 40 seconds, even when the car is just sitting idling. It only runs for about 3-4 seconds then shuts off, then 30 to 40 seconds later kicks on again. Is this okay? The abs pump appears to be a replacement, the accumulator is the original. What do you think, abs pump or accumulator problem?
Thanks

·
Registered
324 Posts
I'd guess the accumulator. B/F replacing it I'd bleed the system exactly per the manual.

·
Registered
34 Posts
....What do you think, abs pump or accumulator problem?
Thanks
I'll second Bill's response, either air in the system or accumulator. Either way get it fixed quick before the ABS pump brushes wear out, it's not designed for that type of duty cycle ~ and it's an expensive part.

Those WABCO pumps should be rebuildable due to their cost but they aren't and it's usually the (very) small motor brushes that wear out. I'll get around to pulling one apart one day (easy) and putting it back together (not so easy). A rebrush should cost about $5.....:cool:

Update - I forgot to mention, their are a couple of microswitches in the pump, they have been known to suffer from dirty contacts, lemme just check accessibility for a squirt of contact cleaner, though I'm not overly hopeful of success.

·
Registered
324 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Seawolf, you won't be able to clean a faulty micro switch buried inside the pressure switch. Even if you remove the pressure switch and attempt to spray through the orifice on the side, you'll only be spraying the push rod and spring.
The switches are housed at the top of the pressure switch within the plastic connector.
In order for you to service the switches, you would need to destroy your switch. Peeling back the aluminum to free the switches.

Not Rover, but very similar.

http://www.3dzubehor.com/Rover_pics/abs1.JPG

http://www.3dzubehor.com/Rover_pics/abs2.JPG

As for the pump running constantly, it could be the check valve seal in the pump. Remove the hose (make sure to depressurize the system, follow the directions in the Bentley manual or Rave). Remove the large nut and you'll see the valve. Not sure what to look for? Look for a poorly fitting rubber seal or tears. The seal should measure around 8mm diameter, any less and the seal is bad. Where can you get this seal? It's not sold separately in the US due to our litigious society.

I can't say where I source mine, I don't want your liability or others. ;)

So this leaves you with a few options, rebuild it professionally, source a good used pump or search endlessly for hours on end till you find the holy grail of ABS check valves. :wave:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Seawolf, you won't be able to clean a faulty micro switch buried inside the pressure switch.
Yeah, I took a look at the pressure switch and as I suspected nothing is accessible, and now confirmed by your post.

I swear that I'll rip the whole brake rig out and fit a master cylinder and servo at the next major obstacle.

·
Registered
92 Posts
so this sound for me like the worst problem you could ever have with your range! in my personal opinion i love this system, but land rover must have a good reason why this pump arent rebuildable! can i put another pump like for example a p38 model or another car pump that is less expensive? why this truck has so many forum talking this problem? it seems like is a failure problem on rovers like the steering box that is always leeking in all rovers since i have my 76 rover...thanks for the help guys!

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'm all for helping others learn, but you must posses some skill and specialized equipment to service the ABS system.

I don't know what skill level you have with mechanical things or your how complete your tool box is. I strongly suggest you stick with the original pump.

This is just information requested, it is by no means meant as a DIY.
Proceed at your own risk as I am releasing myself of any liability.

The P38 pump is basically the same thing found in our RRC, differences being the mounting locations and its a self contained unit.

You have to remove your old accumulator and pump. Replace with the P38 unit, drill some holes for the mounts, and get a union to fit the steel hose from the old accumulator and a hose from union to pump.
You would also need a Rists connector from your old pump spliced to the P38 pump.

Why not search for a good RRC pump? I've already told you numerous times about the faulty check valve seal.

Have you checked it out to see for sure if it has failed.

I actually rebuild automotive items for my own personal use and have done so for the last 25 years. I'm more than familiar with this Wabco pump and its faults.

:drive:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

I have NEW ABS Pressure Switches available. ...Yes, NEW, which means unused...

This the proper part, not from a Jag or Saab... And yes, it's green..

I'm letting these bad boys go at $200 ea. DONT BUY A REBUILD, GET A NEW ONE! ...You owe it to your rover after putting it through heck messing around trying to fix your abs. Make sure to get a new accumulator to go with it, as you don't want this happening again.

I intend to make these available to everyone online soon. However until then please email, text, or call me.

Tim

[email protected]
1-503-839-8352 (pst)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hjacking this ... my 94 RRC ABS will kick in with slight braking ever so often. It was doing it just while driving but seems mostly to do it when you press the pedal. No other symptoms.

I replaced both front calipers as one was hanging up, new lines and new fluid. It went away for several days with no issues. Then came back very slightly today.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Did you figure out what the problem is? I have exactly the same problem with a 1995 Classic, the car will run fine then randomly the brakes kick in at slow speeds after lightly touching the brakes. I get a vibration from the front and what sounds like a relay tripping behind the dash.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts