Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i read the other posts about the pump not turning off, and so far ive come up with that the relay is probably bad. so before i go and buy new things, i just want to make sure the relay is what needs to be replaced.

also, it says abs pump, this is my daily driver and i really need this car on the road. if the pump were to stop functioning would i not have any brakes or just no ABS?

but i cant really aford 800-900 for a new one online. but ill try to go to some of the junk yards and pray for a miracle.

thanks

· I'd love to be in the Rat Patrol
3,205 Posts
You can start with the relay.
I hope it just that. I am still working out the bugs but this is what I found out last week.
What you might find like in my case is a litany of problems.
First I replaced my ABS accumulator. Halloween night.
That seemed to work for a while. But the problems began again.
Second I had to replace my pump and my relays a second time.

Will you have brakes?
The handbook says yes but you have to really press on it.
I found that to be actually a NO in my case.
I had to use the hand brake to get home one day.

I wouldn't drive it without the ABS working.

Good Luck.

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so i switched the two black relays under the driver's seat and the pump didnt come on when i hooked up the battery again. i didnt drive it, so i have to see if it really did fix my problem. autozone surprisingly had a relay that was the same as the ones in there and it was only $7 for a 4-prong and $10 for a 5-prong. so ill buy one, cuz something is obviously wrong with one of the relays.

ill keep you all updated.

· 94 Defender 90
1,004 Posts
Man third person I've known to have this problem within the month. Mine was just the relay as well, but it got complicated when the braided line from the pump to the accumulator burst one night after the pump stuck. That was 100 bucks right there. Then just so happens as I'm bleeding the brakes, my pump dies. I called a bunch of places around the area, but nobody had any used (no way in hell I'll shell out a grand for a new one). Finally found a place on the west coast so they sent it out. That one didn't work either (stuck valve). They fixed it and are sending it back (should be here on thursday). Basically my classic has been off the road for almost 3 weeks. It has been hell. It has given me a chance to fix a few little problems though while it's sitting up on jack stands.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.