Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I, like many others, have the ABS light lit. I pulled the sensors the other day for cleaning and noticed that there was grease at the bottom of the sensor (and up to about 1.5 inches of the shaft). It didn't seem right to me that there would be grease in the plug. Is this normal? I wiped the grease off, used steel wool to clean the element and replaced it. I'm hesitant to buy new sensors if something else is wrong. ABS light still lit and I'm going to get an OBD computer reader at Autozone next week when I get to Norfolk.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Joe,
A couple of thoughts, one there shouldn't be any grease for sure.
Old brake fluid can cause the ABS light to come on, how long has it been since you flushed the system?
Don't buy a scanner thinking youcan rad and clear the brake codes cause they won't. You need a special scanner usually only mechanic and the dealers can read these codes.
Cleaning the grease, as you, may fix the problem but the light will not go off by itself.
Good luck,
Nike J.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the check engine light too and that's why I may pick up the code reader. I'm on travel on the continent until next month and I plan on doing a complete power flush of the brake system/fluid when I get back. Once I pull the codes and figure if I can fix them myself, then I'll go to the dealer to have them cleared.

·
Polish and proud of it.
631 Posts
I know that in Disco II there should be grease on it . The reason is that it gose inside the wheel bering hub . And it's more of like a magnetic pic up , so grease or no grease it will work . But you need grease for the wheel baring .

I know that cause I changed mine couple weeks ago :) .

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
I stand corrected.
Mike J.

·
Former LR tech, Albany NY
2,437 Posts
grease keeps water out and rust.

kinda of natural seal.

you can clean up and push in all the sensors and then reset the monitor test drive again to see if any codes exist.

and fix the ABS lite first and then clear the monitors and test drive.

More then likely the ABS lite set rough road code. IT shuts off the misfire.

The number is 1317 I believe.

·
Former LR tech, Albany NY
2,437 Posts
you can always try the disconnect the battery trick. Works pretty good most of the time.

but whomever you got the codes from you should be able to reset it as well.

just remember you got to drive it to prove out the system.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.