Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
I have been lurking for a few weeks, and this forum seems very knowledgeable and friendly.
I finally got the O.K. from the little lady to purchase an '04 Disco SE7 Black on Black, with Kryton(HSE) rims 17K miles on the clock after we relocated from NC to GA. This thing is awesome. I love the way is sounds when I start the engine, it has a real presenc and seems to be a very solid vehicle but something unerving happened to me one moring.
I am not sure if this is normal but the brakes seem to squeak an aweful lot but besides that I was about 1/2 mile from my house, it was the second/third time I hit the brakes, they squealed as I braked for the stop sign, then Disco chimed and the TC, hand Brake light and ABS light all came on at the same time. I turned off the engine for a few seconds and the brake light and TC light went out. The ABS light eventually went out shortly after.
I called the dealer and they said that the highg pitched squeal can cause this to happen. It only seem to happen when its cold out 30-50 degrees out. One day I had it happen three times. The nearest dealer is a 3hr drive away so I was trying to hold out for the next oil chage. What should I be asking them to do when they take it for service?
The dealer also reccomends an oil change a 3k any thoughts on this. Thanks for the help in advance.
Semper Fi
DevilDisco

·
Super Moderator
828 Posts
This is VERY common. Just do a search of the forums and you'll find a ton of posts about this. If the lights went off and everything seems to function correctly, don't worry about it. Mine did the same thing once after I had to powerspray all the mud off it. I think I just got a sensor wet. Anway, there are any number of things that can cause what you are experiencing, most signs point towards a wheel speed sensor.

As for oil changes, the sooner the better. Whenever I am near the dealer, I pick up about 5-6 oil filters as I try to do all the servicing on my own. I usually change it every 2500-3000 miles.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply. I was wondering if I needed to get some of those Kevlar Brake pads from Atlantic British to help solve the problem but since it happens so rare I'll work with it.
Is it difficult to change the oil in the Dico? I am something of a novice when it comes to chaning oil. It looks like my dealer is using mobile not sure if its regualr or synthetic. When I find out which one I can pick some up locally then I'll probably order some of the filters like you do. That will save 300miles on the Disco for servicing. Is about 150miles to Atlanta but they do bring and LR3 when they take it for servicing. :shifty: and I miss the disco when its gone.
DevilDisco

·
Super Moderator
828 Posts
Changing the brake pads will not effect the illuminated lamps on your dash.

Oil change is super easy. Depending on how large of a frame your body is, you 'may' be able to fit under the truck without lifting it up. I can't seem to fit my chest under the truck so I need to drive it up on ramps to change it.

All you need to do is:

(1) Open your hood
(2) remove the oil fill cap (I do this because I think it lets the oil drain quicker)
(3) place you oil catch can under the truck
(4) slowly remove the oil drain plug
(5) hopefully you positioned the catch can under the steam of oil correctly ;)
(6) remove the oil filter (you will make a mess doing this, for some reason, it drains all over the front axel)
(7) put a thin coat of oil on the rubber ring of the new filter, hand tighten into place
(8) replace the crush washer on the oil drain plug, and reinstall
(9) replace with fresh oil. I usually use a good 10W40, conventional oil

It's that simple! Now, if you have a grease gun, hit the zerk on the rear drive shaft while you are under there.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
DevilDisco said:
Thanks for the quick reply. I was wondering if I needed to get some of those Kevlar Brake pads from Atlantic British to help solve the problem but since it happens so rare I'll work with it.
Is it difficult to change the oil in the Dico? I am something of a novice when it comes to chaning oil. It looks like my dealer is using mobile not sure if its regualr or synthetic. When I find out which one I can pick some up locally then I'll probably order some of the filters like you do. That will save 300miles on the Disco for servicing. Is about 150miles to Atlanta but they do bring and LR3 when they take it for servicing. :shifty: and I miss the disco when its gone.
DevilDisco
Don't run Kevlar pads on stock rotors, the results aren't good. Buy one of their other pads and befor installing, buy and use alot of brake deadening spray or goo on the brake backing plates. Even if the new brake pads come with sound pads use the sray also, it will make a big difference in the noise.
I run Kevlar pads on DBA rotors and they make a great braking system, and if you want to do that wait until your next brake job when rotors are needed. make sure you do a comple brake bleed, gravity brake bleed is the easiest way to go, this will give you a firmer brake pedal.
As for the oil change, every 3000 miles is a must for Rovers, the engines run rich and the oil fouls fast. Try to use a 20/50, my favorite is Castrol, and use K&N 3001 oil filters, they are much larger then factory flters and are a good quailty filter.
Good luck,
Mike J.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help. I'll delay buying the Kevlar pads, I suspected they might be harder than the rotors.

The oil change sounds straight forward. I already have a pan to catch the oil but gave a way the filter wrench because I never used it. :dunno:
Whats the difference between 10W40 and 20/50? Not sure why I thought I had to use 5W30, synthetic.

What do tappy lifters sound like? I have read about it but not quite sure. I think I migh be just paranoid. Is it posible to get them after just 26660miles of driving? Sometimes when I turn the engine over first thing in the morning I swear I hear some some kind of tapping. Its about a second between each tap, could be my imagination though? I don't want to start chasing something that does not exist, but on the last oil change I did waith the full 7500 interval. I wonder if that is why they suggested that I change the oil every 3000?
I know too many questions, but all your advice is greately appreciated.
Semper Fi,
DevilDisco

·
Super Moderator
828 Posts
That's too bad you live so far away from the dealer. Free service on your truck is always nice!

About the lifters.. are you using premium gas or regular 87 octane?

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
hey same problem happened to me recently....the cool thing is that it didnt involve replacing a ABS sensor or anything.

Somehow I tripped a sensor or something and ended up having a code that was saying it couldnt detect the air suspension system......well mine never had air suspension so all that had to happen is that it be reset.....

...I searched for the issues causing the lights to come on and ive never heard of this one so just thowing it out there for those that search for this stuff.

...im not sure this applies to your problem though.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I only use premium. The highest we get around here is 92 octane. I don't use any additives or anything.
I find that if I allow the engine to warm up especially on cold day that I can somtimes avoid those lights coming on. It only happens when it gets around 40 degrees outside. The most recent time it happeed it was about 50 and raining, but as soon as the engine was warm all everything is fine. Its just those first two or three stops first thing on a cold day. How odd? Everything still funcitons and its not like I got a service engine light so I'm ok with it. I will definitley look into some anit-squeal thoug.
Devil Disco.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.